In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1five days/two years ago — hace cinco días/dos años
- long ago — hace tiempo
- a long time ago — hace mucho (tiempo)
- as long ago as 1960 — ya en 1960
- how long ago was it that you wrote to him? — ¿cuánto (tiempo) hace que le escribiste?
- a week ago today we were still in Madrid — hace (exactamente) una semana estábamos aún en Madrid
- I joined the company a year ago this Wednesday — este miércoles hace un año que me incorporé a la empresa
- He hopes to jog a few memories in January by picking up where he left off five months ago.
- It started a week ago when I had to go down to Erith in Kent to collect some honey jars.
- Do you ever sit back and think, five or six years ago this would have been a fairytale?
- Ten years ago was the worse year of my life. It was a year when nothing seemed to go right.
- Two days ago he went into the group's head office for the last time to clear his desk.
- There was a time, and it is only a couple of years ago, when all this would seem surreal.
- I spent two weeks a few years ago proofreading it for him and confess it was hard work.
- The owner decided to give it a trial when he got rid of his previous cab a week or two ago.
- He admitted that he'd met a girl a year ago and she was moving to Derby in Jan and wanted to meet up.
- He was born over eighty years ago in the house next to the church and died in a house next to the church.
- Leary had always said that he would never ever quit smoking, but a few years ago he did.
- They talk about it less now than they did a week ago, but the spectre of it is omnipresent.
- Its not hard to find stories on the issue and it happened over a week ago so why is Younge not aware of it?
- She had beaten off the disease five years ago after a melanoma had been found on her leg.
- It was like a minute ago that I talked to Natalie and now I am on my way in my Jaguar to get her.
- His brother died of a heart attack a year ago and his father has had three attacks this year.
- Ten years ago there was outrage when he was released for five days to go on a holiday.
- Thank you to those of you who have been asking about my hospital visit a couple of weeks ago.
- In fact the last American to come close here was Daly two years ago when he tied for third.
- Ok, so they probably set it up to do this ages ago, but I gave up trying quite a while ago.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.