In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(painful) terriblemente(slow) exasperantemente
- I'd heard that it was agonisingly painful, but I just found it uncomfortable and embarrassing.
- It is quite possible that the first half of the film could feel agonizingly slow, only occasionally lit up by cheering details.
- It doesn't help that the most recent guy was already a slow typist, and just agonizingly slow with the left handed hunt-and peck.
- The process has been painfully and agonizingly slow to the World Championship Title.
- After an eternity of standing still, I gradually forced myself to turn away and take agonizingly slow steps back up to my room.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.