In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(shared opinion)acuerdo masculinewe need agreement on the matter — tenemos que ponernos de acuerdo / que llegar a un acuerdo sobre el asunto
- to be in agreement (with sb) — estar de acuerdo (con algn)
- she nodded in agreement — asintió con la cabeza
- to reach agreement — llegar a un acuerdo
- But they are all in agreement that he is not a simple controversialist just for the sake of it.
- All parties involved found themselves in agreement that the fixture should remain unfulfilled.
- Not very many of the delegates seemed in agreement that an October election is on the cards.
- Quearney and I are in agreement that bulbs seem to be ideally suited to an Irish climate.
- The crowd nods in agreement that they are in the presence of a fine basketball player.
- All bodies are in agreement that the use of foreign workers is set to mushroom over the next few years.
- New Zealanders are in agreement that children should not be assaulted or brutalised.
- I'm in agreement that the divorce rate is exceptionally high and mostly avoidable.
- Mally leant back and nodded in agreement.
- The one good thing is that all the experts seem to be in agreement that mortgages are set to fall.
- I am also in agreement that perpetrators must be held responsible for their actions.
- Both organisations are in agreement that we have got to get this right.
- Everyone is in agreement that size is not that important from a practical point of view.
- Your Honour, I think we are in agreement that the matter should be heard as soon as possible.
- The hospital management and the council seem in agreement that cash is a palliative but not a panacea.
- We're all thoroughly in agreement that these first-past-the-post elections are a bad thing.
- We are in agreement or partial agreement on many of the most significant issues, but we shall have to remain at odds on a few.
- The meeting was in agreement that action has to be taken to end the monopoly.
- Most economists are in agreement that in order to grow an economy saving is a must.
- We enjoyed both and were in agreement that they were great palate fresheners.
1.2masculine acuerdoBusiness contrato masculinemasculine conveniomasculine acuerdomasculine acuerdomasculine arregloto come to / reach an agreement (with sb) — llegar a un acuerdo (con algn)
- to have an agreement (with sb) — tener un acuerdo (con algn)
- to enter into an agreement — aceptar los términos de un acuerdo
- to sign an agreement — firmar un acuerdo
- to break/honor an agreement — romper/respetar un acuerdo
- agreement to + inf
- there's an unspoken agreement between them not to apply for the same job — existe un acuerdo tácito entre ellos de no solicitar el mismo trabajo
- the union will honor the agreement not to strike — el sindicato respetará el compromiso de no recurrir a la huelga
- He said that his agreements with these autobiographical subjects were not recorded in writing.
- They can do so by ad hoc international agreements, involving two or more parties.
- It was included in the association agreements that they entered into from year to year.
- You have not honoured this, as well as many verbal agreements that we had with each other.
- It is not in our members' interest to negotiate unaffordable equal pay agreements.
- The final source of health care law comes from the international agreements on human rights.
- The signed agreements will remain held in escrow until Neil receives the banker's draft.
- The crux of the arrangement is a series of reef lease agreements with the local villages.
- In effect, they are hiring the union to act as agent in the negotiation of agreements.
- But most student and many other shared houses are let on joint tenancy agreements.
- She contends that such agreements were final and binding on the parties.
- With limited exceptions, both agreements ban all high seas fishing for salmon.
- The attached marked up copies confirm the basis on which we are prepared to enter these agreements.
- No provision was made in the agreements for time off, sick pay, or holidays.
- The drafts of the three agreements that were current at the start of that month all provided for New York law.
- What rules could a legal system adopt as tests for the enforceability of agreements?
- In recent years, the courts have hesitated over whether to take such agreements into account.
- He did not have to enter into the agreements for leases if he did not want to.
- The Response did however deny the terms of the agreements alleged by the claimants.
- The EC is also party to international agreements that commit it to a regime of free trade.
2(consent)consentimiento masculineto obtain sb's agreement (to sth) — obtener el consentimiento de algn (para algo)
3.1(harmony, concord)to be in agreement (with sth) — concordar / estar en concordancia (con algo)
- Agreement is an important concept in grammar and a source of many writing errors.
- There is some evidence that the possibility of dropping expletive subjects is linked to agreement.
- Many current treatments of agreement assume that a noun phrase like "John" or "the book" has a single set of agreement (person, number, gender) features.
- Each sentence contains at least one error in noun-verb agreement. Write the correct form of the incorrect verbs in the spaces below, and then click the submit button to check your answers.
- The chapter concludes with a discussion of agreement markers triggered by inflection classes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.