In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)mariscal del aire masculineteniente general masculine
- She married Jeremy Lee-Potter, a medical student and the son of an air marshal in 1957.
- However, in order to disguise this distinction he was made an air marshal, to sit beside a full admiral and full general.
- On promotion to air marshal, he served for a short time as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief Logistics Command.
- The air marshal program - every air marshal - available air marshal is deployed.
- In September 1939 he was promoted acting air marshal and in April 1940 was appointed Commander in Chief Bomber Command.
- A federal air marshal - one of thousands now at work since Sept. 11 - approaches, identifies himself, and tells the man to calm down.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.