In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We are condemned to spend hours and money waiting for connecting flights in foreign airports.
- Of course because of the incident all airports have stopped planes from taking off.
- It is worth checking, too, for seasonal charter flights from Scottish airports.
- Empty planes, deserted airports and bankrupt airlines are a useful barometer of their fear.
- Now the Government has set about building new roads and airports all over the shop.
- Flights from Gatwick are included, but connections from Scottish airports are extra.
- It was all about passenger landing rights at Heathrow and American airports.
- The ports and airports have been alerted in case he tries to leave the country.
- Sheer volume of passengers, particularly at London airports, lies at the root of the problem.
- He says that he writes in airports, on planes and trains and between meetings.
- The two airports are each served by one main runway, as are Aberdeen, Prestwick and Inverness.
- We are used to arriving at airports and being able to get on and off aeroplanes in very little time.
- An unexpected benefit is the availability of flights from regional airports in the UK.
- Previously, passengers were forced to travel via Heathrow or other hub airports.
- The airline mainly uses smaller airports and he admitted the size of Manchester Airport may be a factor.
- Police are also thought to know the identity of a third man they are seeking and to have alerted ports and airports.
- In addition to primary airports there are a multitude of landing strips able to receive small planes.
- Each passenger's face would be scanned at airports and compared with the data in their passport.
- And all the hanging around in airports before and between flights is the worst bit of all.
- Some carriers have already cancelled a series of flights from London airports.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.