In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Television la pequeña pantallathe airwaves — la radio
- Her bubbly personality plus her perceptive understanding of local issues mean that Liz is a natural on the airwaves.
- The songs I grew up with have faded away from the airwaves but not out of my mind.
- Find yourself starting to turn off the radio when politicians hit the airwaves?
- The intention of the Voices project is to give airtime to voices not usually heard on the BBC's airwaves.
- Cable television from across the Atlantic has long dominated our airwaves.
- Cable operators could also see the new airwaves as a way to shore up their business models.
- With the terrestrial giants in decline, cable and satellite look set to rule the airwaves for some time to come.
- It seems one of my election anecdotes graced the airwaves of Radio 4's Newsquiz yesterday.
- In fact, given their power back, Americans might be more vigilant in policing the airwaves.
- It's the first time I'm being let loose on the airwaves as a presenter!
- Youngsters at a Bingley school are to hit the airwaves again after buying the latest equipment for their own radio station.
- Its hard drive can store 100 movies, and an antenna receives new films via broadcast airwaves.
- News and live programmes were significantly affected, but there were no blank screens or dead airwaves.
- Young broadcasters hit the airwaves this week after the launch of their school's radio station.
- The government could then sell off the airwaves to mobile phone companies.
- The buyers are likely to be mobile phone companies wanting to use the airwaves for new gadgets such as video phones.
- This week Ali is shopping the song around to Alberta radio stations hoping it will hit the airwaves.
- A new radio station is ready to hit the airwaves in parts of East and South Mayo.
- All a user has to do is download money from the bank over the airwaves, then wave the phone over a cash register.
- In a nutshell, the phone and the router are in competition for the same airwaves.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.