1¡ay! literarywe had hopes, but, alas, they came to nothing — teníamos esperanzas pero, ¡ay!, se vieron defraudadas literary
- we thought he might pass, but, alas, he didn't — pensábamos que quizás aprobara pero lamentablemente / muy a pesar nuestro no fue así
- Shopping, alas, is likely always to lag behind the entertainment industry.
- I caught my arms around a low wall that separated the two sections of the path, but alas!
- She became the most passionate wife that a man could hope that she might be, but alas.
- We looked in vain expecting the area to miraculously improve but alas, no such luck.
- Oh my god, I nearly pushed her out of the way to get at him, but alas, he only had eyes for her.