In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Like astrology, knowledge of alchemy filtered into medieval Europe through Moorish centres of learning in Spain.
- Green Magick uses more trees and plants, while Red Magick uses alchemy and astrology for its references.
- Even doctors got their start in witchcraft - using alchemy, spiritual healing, and healing by deities.
- Voodoo, science, witchcraft, animal spirits, chemistry, alchemy, fairies, physics - it's all the same.
- His interests extended to an enthusiastic study of mathematics, the natural sciences, and studies of alchemy and natural magic.
- Now, Gilles was a practitioner of alchemy and attempted to find the infamous philosopher's [philosophers] stone.
- Treatises on mathematics, music, astronomy, alchemy, medicine, jurisprudence, as well as studies on Athenian judicial terminology and on the topography of Athens. [5.]
- A true military intellectual, he gave expression to the ideas of the late humanists and was an enthusiastic student of the occult, alchemy, and natural magic.
- This Kristo's horoscope site had some interesting stuff on it that I want to come back and check out, about dreams, astrology, alchemy, intuition and some other junk.
- Witness their enthusiasm for UFOs as opposed to scientific cosmology, for alchemy instead of chemistry, for urban legends instead of hard news.
- In fact, we now know that Newton was in many ways a Renaissance man, working in theology, prophecy, and alchemy, as well as mathematics, optics, and physics.
- But it no more belongs in a biology class than alchemy belongs in a chemistry class, phlogiston in a physics class or the stork theory in a sex education class.
- A further compilation of ancient texts concerning astrology, magic and alchemy was the Hermetica, written in Alexandria around 100 AD.
- In addition, the authors offer the psychology of miracles, alchemy, ESP, Nazi occultism, Gnosticism and UFOs as instruments of alternative belief in modern times.
- The idea of transmutation through alchemy was one that was taken quite seriously and Dee was granted special rights far beyond someone of his standing.
- Newton devoted long years of research to the ancient mysteries of alchemy and how base metals could be turned into gold.
- The Goddess also figures prominently in alchemy in its concern with primal matter, the primal matrix from which all else may be transmuted.
- The symbolism is not accidental: the importance of the sun in astrology clearly parallels the exalted position of gold in alchemy.
- Ashmole was fascinated by magic, alchemy and astrology, and befriended many astrologers regardless of political allegiance.
- Although it had led to the discovery of alcohol and the mineral acids, historians of chemistry view alchemy in general as fraudulent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.