In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There was no evidence of cigarette smoking and no history of drug abuse or alcoholism.
- On the practical side was the desire to gain a better deal for people suffering from alcoholism.
- Binge drinking should not be conflated with chronic alcoholism and under-age consumption.
- Am I going to give them an answer to alcoholism or addiction in a few minutes on television?
- People with parents who have alcoholism have a greater chance of getting the disease.
- Many alcoholics will tell you that alcoholism is a disease that rewires the brain.
- There is no suggestion in the evidence that your client suffered from alcoholism, is there?
- She suffered from depression and alcoholism and it took her until the age of 34 to sort herself out.
- Because I think that within medicine there's a bit of a conspiracy of silence about alcoholism.
- Alcohol abuse is the most common cause of cirrhosis and many people associate the disease with alcoholism.
- I am much more inclined to think that their alcoholism or addiction has come about as a consequence of their situation.
- Vaillant concludes that we know far more about the clinical course of common cancers than we do of alcoholism.
- Her alcoholism and addiction to cocaine make her paranoid and unpredictable.
- But Chris slipped into alcoholism and became addicted to cocaine and Ecstasy.
- Speaking of genes and drugs, for years there's been a fruitless search for the gene for alcoholism.
- There is some evidence that alcoholism of early onset is associated with a defect in serotonin regulation.
- Ten years later Glatt founded his unit for alcoholism and drug addiction at St Bernard's.
- The suicide rate is one of the highest in Europe, and there is alcoholism and drug addiction.
- Pathologist Dr Al Badri found that Mr Holmes died from cardio respiratory failure and chronic alcoholism.
- We treat it very much like we would treat alcoholism or drug addiction.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.