In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The algicide targets Oscillatoria perornata, a species of cyanobacteria prevalent in Mississippi.
- ‘We're also looking at other algicides,’ notes Anderson.
- Aquatic herbicides and algicides have been used successfully for several decades.
- Iodine is, however, ineffective as an algicide.
- Better help may be on the horizon for many catfish farmers in the form of a natural-based algicide that kills blue-green algae but is much safer for other pond life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.