In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Platinum also dissolves in hot alkalis such as hot sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.
- Concentrated acids and caustic alkalis should be handled with the greatest care.
- They resist most chemicals, including many acids, alkalis, oxidizing agents, and solvents.
- Zinc is a fairly active metal that dissolves in both acids and strong alkalis.
- Caustic alkalis react with the paint coating and loosen it from the surface.
- Tellurium reacts with both acids and some alkalis.
- Nitriles can be decomposed by acids or alkalis to give the corresponding carboxylic acid or they can be reduced to give primary amines.
- Nickel has good resistance to corrosion in the normal atmosphere, in natural freshwaters and in deaerated nonoxidizing acids, and it has excellent resistance to corrosion by caustic alkalis…
- Carboxylic acids also react with alkalis, or bases.
- Chemically, aluminum will react with the alkalis in concrete and produce hydrogen bubbles.
- The high-density overlay protects the wood substrate from alkalis and water.
- Corrosives (mineral acids, alkalis, phenols) are in this category.
- It accounted for acids and alkalis, for respiration and the smells of plants.
- It can withstand high temperatures and is resistant to many corrosive substances such as acids and alkalis.
- On contact, strong acids, alkalis, and heavy metals cause chemical burns.
- Soap is made by combining a fat source (either animal or vegetable) and an alkali in a chemical process known as saponification.
- It combines with most non-metals at high temperatures and reacts with both acids and alkalis.
- Copper is a moderately reactive metal that dissolves in most acids and alkalis.
- Like semi-permanent dyes, permanent dyes are also alkalis.
- Amides are hydrolysed to ammonium salts with catalysis by acids or alkalis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.