In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Caffeine is a naturally occurring drug belonging to a group of compounds called alkaloids.
- Morphine is an alkaloid, meaning that it is an organic compound that contains carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen, and forms a water-soluble salt.
- Many multicellular trichomes are glandular, developing a terminal gland which may secrete a variety of compounds, such as alkaloids to deter or poison predators.
- Plant or vinca alkaloids are derived from plants and block cell division during mitosis.
- At present, the chemical components of this water extract are thought to include only alkaloids, terpenes and pigments.
- Barbiturates are derived from barbituric acid, an alkaloid with nitrogen-containing rings.
- Second, the alkaloid is refluxed with acetic anhydride for about five hours.
- Prominent examples are quinolizidine alkaloids, gossypol, glucosinolates, nonproteinogenic amino acids and furanocoumarins.
- Diuretics can be found in terpenes, phenolics and alkaloids.
- The isolation of morphine from opium takes advantage of the amphoteric nature of the alkaloid, since morphine is a phenolic amine.
- The cinchona tree contains more than 20 alkaloids of which quinine and quinidine are the most important.
- Other important alkaloids are caffeine, ricinine, and quinine.
- CE analysis of plant secondary metabolites such as flavonoids, alkaloids, and phenolic acids is now common.
- The alkaloids in poppy include morphine, narcotine and codeine - the reasons why opium is used most frequently as a sedative.
- Caffeine is a bitter alkaloid found especially in coffee, tea, and kola nuts and used medicinally as a stimulant and diuretic.
- They are precursors of benzoic phenanthridine alkaloids, active ingredients of many medicinal plant extracts.
- Key alkaloids present in goldenseal include berberine, hydrastine, and canadine.
- This material is a complex mixture of about 20 different alkaloids or nitrogen containing organic bases.
- Berberine is an alkaloid occurring in the plant genera Berberis and Coptis.
- Terpenoid indole alkaloids absorb UV radiation and are implicated as having a UV-protective role in plants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.