In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Tired of being a pushover and all-around loser, he had traded his notes for a large and rather dangerous-looking stick.
- Happily, one of the few all-around great blogs has resurrected, returning the web to its deserved richness.
- Jake R. and a few others provided the best all-around solution to repairing a CD or DVD.
- And finally (as they say on the news) English explorer and all-around legend Sir Ranulph Fiennes runs his seventh marathon in seven days.
- Christian Vieri is, arguably, the best all-around centre forward in the world at the moment, combining finishing, strength and pace.
- I think of it as one of the first in the category of subtle, all-around feel-good drugs that will eventually be used as casually as caffeine and sugar are today.
- I had my best qualifying run of my career today and just an all-around great day with practice sessions, too.
- Griffin's facial expressions and all-around on-screen presence rescue otherwise-floundering scenes at several points.
- ‘In addition to all-around discounts, department stores have to plan novel activities to lure consumers,’ she said.
- Davis got plenty of help as the Hornets played a superb all-around game.
- The cab provides good all-around visibility and sufficient head room for a standing visitor.
- He was also, reputedly, a control freak, religious fanatic and all-around weirdo.
- Families enjoyed the fun-filled evening of good music, slapstick comedy and all-around entertainment.
- Our hero explains that the businessman is actually a smuggler, murderer and all-around bad person.
- Renowned for their intense, all-around weirdness, these crazy Texans have been pumping out indescribable ‘music’ for well over two decades.
- I am jealous of all the talent I see around me, and bitter that the world is not giving me the fame, money and all-around kudos I feel I deserve.
- Her sister Amy Stewart is an all-around leader on and off the field.
- Jeff was one of the best all-around skaters ever.
- Finally, the new government has yet to come up with an all-around package of economic policies.
- Leonardo Sbaraglia's Jose, career soldier and all-around serious guy, is tricked by her flashing eyes and cunning words into letting her escape, and thus begins their tragic affair.
2(comprehensive)(experience) ampliothe car offers all-around value for money — el coche es, en todo sentido / desde todo punto de vista, una buena adquisición
3(in all directions)(visibility) amplio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.