In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to sound the all-clear — tocar la sirena — que indica el final del bombardeo
- to give sb/sth the all-clear — dar luz verde a algn/algo
- once the project has the all-clear — una vez (que) se haya dado luz verde al proyecto
- By the time the all-clear signal was given, the building had been entirely evacuated.
- All 134 children attending the school will remain at home until health inspectors give the all-clear.
- Chemotherapy treatment followed and he was later given the all-clear.
- After a simple, half hour operation Stephen was given the all-clear and told to visit his GP again in three years.
- And if they are unsure, then how can they give everything the all-clear?
- His premises were promptly inspected and given the all-clear, but he has asked for a further inspection today as an extra precaution.
- Mercifully, all the current signs point to Melanie being in remission but it will be another three and a half years before she is given the all-clear.
- Because no one knew when the Government would sound the all-clear, the Georgian hall was kept in a perpetual state of readiness.
- And provided the scheme is not called in by the Secretary of State, it will get the final all-clear.
- The Government has vehemently denied claims that it has already given the all-clear for a new runway at Stansted.
- The mother-of-two has now been given the all-clear and she wants to return to Manchester help to raise money to aid other cancer sufferers.
- However, victory celebrations were renewed when the player returned to the clubhouse after being given the all-clear by doctors.
- Police made office workers stay inside for three hours until they were given the all-clear to come out.
- Bomb disposal experts were called to the scene, the station was evacuated and a cordon thrown around the area until the all-clear was given.
- Garages are giving faulty cars the all-clear in safety tests, a damning investigation reveals.
- The procedure was a success and Bob has now been given the all-clear.
- The older child was treated for smoke inhalation and the younger one had a check-up before being given the all-clear.
- They were allowed to go at about 1am when the all-clear was given.
- Environment Agency engineers were inspecting the repaired flood defences before giving them the all-clear.
- I think we must have stayed where we were until the all-clear sounded.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.