In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acusación feminineimputación feminine formalto make an allegation — hacer una acusación
- The allegation was that he exceeded his powers by having the complainant's car towed away.
- The Tory group has stressed that the allegations do not concern any illegal activities.
- Police investigated the allegation but found no evidence of criminal wrongdoing.
- He made no comment to the police but gave them a written statement denying the allegation.
- Several allegations were investigated by police but no charges were ever brought.
- It is evident there is no truth in the single allegation made against me.
- I don't know the inside story on the allegations of racism that have been investigated.
- I know of several occasions when allegations in newspapers have been well wide of the mark.
- It's been very hurtful, and no one has been prepared to put their names to these allegations.
- We deny all the implied allegations and insinuations in the strongest possible terms.
- He said in the case of the association some people had been making allegations without proof.
- His comments were ignored by the media as he did not have the proof to back up his allegations.
- Any allegation for nuisance is often met with a counter allegation which must also be investigated.
- The woman and her boyfriend refused to comment about the allegations in The Mail on Sunday.
- West Yorkshire Police said they have not been able to substantiate any of the allegations.
- Of course there needs to be safeguards for teachers from false and malicious allegations.
- The burden of proof in an allegation of undue influence rests upon the person who claims to have been wronged.
- We totally reject the serious allegations and innuendos contained in the article.
- He once famously got an injunction banning anyone from repeating the allegation that he dyes his hair.
- Details of the allegation have not been revealed but it is understood to have happened in a public area.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.