In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(violation/thief) presunto(miracle) supuesto(miracle) presunto
- Two of their alleged accomplices, also previously living in Hamburg, are on the run.
- One of them is about an alleged Cabinet split over the site of a nuclear waste dump.
- It's a peculiar way to describe the alleged plotters, when you think about it, isn't it?
- He said when the alleged getaway car tried to reverse outside Euston station, it was blocked by a bus.
- A man who provided a false alibi for an alleged attacker has been sent to jail for six months.
- Police were also on the scene to carry out their own investigations about the alleged incident.
- Then a group of men, including the defendant, barged into the alleged victim's home.
- Two of the alleged conspirators have already been set free in Germany for the same reason.
- The jury watched a video showing some of the alleged conspirators in animated discussion.
- The character of the locality must surely be judged as it was before the alleged nuisance began.
- The fight broke out at about 3pm on Friday below deck after the pair got into an alleged row.
- The alleged payments were detailed last month in a Senate report on the oil for food programme.
- The British Museum, too, says it knows nothing about any alleged fakes in its displays.
- However, even his most severe critics now agree that the alleged flaw is largely a thing of the past.
- A French judge has been inquiring into the alleged bribes for the past two years.
- In the chase incident, he entered a shop to find the owner struggling with an alleged shoplifter.
- His parents also complained about the alleged mistreatment of their son while he was in prison.
- The alleged activities include amassing a number of fake credit cards and fake passports.
- A court decided to fit the tagging device on one of the alleged attackers while they awaited trial.
- As well as provoking mirth, the alleged meanness of Scots is also a powerful marketing tool.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.