In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(all-powerful)todopoderosoalmighty God, God almighty — Dios todopoderoso
- Yes, the almighty American Buck has been waved in front of the proverbial noses of the planet and even I can smell the money.
- Monty said the service indicates gender roles are changing, but ultimately it comes down to the almighty rupiah.
- The worshipful culture of the almighty dollar leads to passive acceptance of such trends.
- Don't you think that Katie's open letter at least deserves some kind of response from the almighty corporation?
- These sages of finance obviously forget that the incessant need for the almighty dollar usually steps on the toes of morality.
- Why would Thomas transcend to a godlike state if he detests almighty power?
- They became corrupt and would do anything for the almighty dollar.
- In two recent cases, public artworks have been at odds with religion and the almighty dollar.
- It's time to give some other groups with new ideas who don't worship at the feet of the almighty dollar a chance.
- The almighty blogosphere has brought the press to its knees once again.
- As custodian of the almighty dollar, the United States would provide liquidity to the system.
- Yes, there are actually more important things in life than the almighty dollar!
- The salvation of sinners does not depend on the way we state the truth, but on the almighty power of God.
- But in professional sports, the almighty buck isn't as almighty as everyone thinks.
- The fact that he has seen the dawning of the sun in the morning means that the almighty power of God is already protecting him.
- One Princeton educated chap was quite shocked to hear that we had our own currency and that we didn't use the almighty Green Back!
- Everyone is ultimately motivated by self-interest and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
- But next week we'll all have something to smile about, thanks be to almighty Brian.
- All around him lesser mortals have given up the true faith to follow the almighty dollar, pound, or Euro.
- My oh my, how that must irritate this part-time demagogue in the almighty press.
2informal(huge, great)tremendo informalhe's an almighty bore — es un plomazo informal
- It seemed that there was no breath, no alive creature in the street, just almighty wind and infinite rain.
- There was a strike that looked almost like a fireball and then an almighty power surge.
- All this was made worse when she hit a wave front-on and was lifted out of the water, only to crash down again with an almighty splash.
- Maybe he could really flip himself over with an almighty heave?
- Their size certainly belies their power as the pair make an almighty racket with just drums and guitar.
- Seizing the massive iron handles, he gave an almighty yank, drawing back out of the way.
- Sydney glared balefully, but her resolve crumbled under the power of the almighty puppy dog eyes.
- An almighty crack and a noise like thunder sounded from the end of the tunnel and rumbled down to their ears.
- I was puzzling - and chuckling to myself - over this when suddenly the air was filled with an almighty BOOM.
- With an almighty boom, the laser detonates, tearing a huge chunk of the warship's hull away as it goes.
- Just as the film began to get interesting, they heard an almighty crash of thunder and the next thing they knew the electricity cut off.
- And what an almighty car crash of a series it promises to be.
- At 2pm on Tuesday another almighty noise will reverberate around the Cotswolds and to all jockeys it will be music to the ears.
- I was woken up this morning by an almighty crash of thunder, there being an almighty storm outside.
- When we returned in the evening, they produced an almighty spread of homemade cakes and scones and fancies of all kinds.
- We were playing outside in the garden this afternoon when there was an almighty roar in the sky.
- The aspirin he had taken had finally started to kick in, and disintegrate his almighty hangover.
- The piece of rock hit the floor with an almighty bang.
- But they departed the stage just ahead of Macca and Bono's entrance and an almighty roar from the crowd.
- An almighty roar of celebration, relief and happiness erupted upon the decks of the Devil Star as the ship emerged from warp space.
1the Almighty — el Todopoderoso
- I guess the Almighty was saying Happy Mother's Day is His own way to all the Mothers in the world.
- This is an irony which shames us in the presence of Allah, the Almighty and most worthy of praise.
- I'd pray to the almighty that a miracle occurred and Catholics and Anglicans stood shoulder to shoulder.
- Stay safe and remember to spend even a short moment quietly with the Almighty, He who governs and rules all.
- We know that freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world.
- In her acceptance speech, the winner thanked the almighty and promised to do even better at the all-India level.
- Sadly for her, the Almighty wasn't listening - or He simply couldn't hear her above the din.
- In this way, every action you take or every value you have carries its own endorsement from the almighty.
- But it is true that the Almighty did miss a perfect opportunity for some divine intervention.
- The event started with the sweet little voices of the children invoking the blessings of the Almighty.
- Every night she prays and finds the Almighty uncommonly accommodating.
- If true, this suggests that the Almighty has far too much time on his hands.
- If we comics down here are made in God's image, then the Almighty must be a right laugh.
- The Almighty calls them to office but ministers of all faiths are seeking to be recognised as employees of man as well as God.
- God does not have to display all his power to show who he is as the almighty.
- When none appeared, it dawned on him that the Almighty didn't work that way.
- Why they didn't burn the home down can only be explained by the grace of the Almighty.
- There was a respectful pause as the Senior Prayer Officer waited for the Almighty to give him his attention.
- He constantly had a faraway look in his eyes as if he was in constant direct communication with the Almighty.
- Do not let your faith in the almighty and his messenger go away.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.