In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1yaI've already been there, I've been there already — ya estuve allí Latin America
- I've already seen or (US also) I already saw the play — ya he visto la obra
- they've already met — ya se conocen
- the others had already left — los demás ya se habían ido
- are you back already? — ¿ya estás de vuelta?
- they've made an already difficult situation worse — han empeorado una situación que ya era difícil
- As already mentioned, one of the possible throwbacks to the past is our love of swimming.
- Rerina folded the clothes that were already done earlier and set them on the side.
- The only thing going for it was its railway heritage, already fading into the past.
- Many people are paying large sums of money for services which they are already entitled to.
- Any students who already had been given a place would keep it, regardless of regrades.
- We can add these to the displays we already have and hopefully answer a few questions.
- That trust was repaid with an offer no different from those which had already been refused.
- Overtime is already used and efforts are being made to recruit a more diverse workforce.
- A careful parent will not ask a question of a child unless the answer is already known.
- After learning that Susan has already viewed the place they start to ask her questions.
- It would simply be more vicious treatment on top of what she has already suffered.
- I was kind of relieved it was all a dream, as I was in enough trouble with the law already.
- There is no point bringing more laws in when we are so soft with the laws we already have.
- Lari was asking for an answer to a question that she already knew the answer to.
- She had already amassed four dustbins before the recent delivery of her wheeled bin.
- There is a campaign to have his face added to the four already carved into Mount Rushmore.
- Workers have been offered a hefty redundancy package as part of a deal already on the table.
- I think you will have already made up your mind about her from previous performances.
- What we have done in the past has already proved successful at Rennes and at Lyon.
- Other deals that are already in the public arena are also picking up steam again.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.