In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1yaI've already been there, I've been there already — ya he estado allí
- I've already seen / I already saw the play — ya he visto la obra
- they've already met — ya se conocen
- the others had already left — los demás ya se habían ido
- are you back already? — ¿ya estás de vuelta?
- they've made an already difficult situation worse — han empeorado una situación que ya era difícil
- Any students who already had been given a place would keep it, regardless of regrades.
- After learning that Susan has already viewed the place they start to ask her questions.
- Workers have been offered a hefty redundancy package as part of a deal already on the table.
- That trust was repaid with an offer no different from those which had already been refused.
- A careful parent will not ask a question of a child unless the answer is already known.
- As already mentioned, one of the possible throwbacks to the past is our love of swimming.
- Many people are paying large sums of money for services which they are already entitled to.
- The only thing going for it was its railway heritage, already fading into the past.
- I was kind of relieved it was all a dream, as I was in enough trouble with the law already.
- Overtime is already used and efforts are being made to recruit a more diverse workforce.
- There is a campaign to have his face added to the four already carved into Mount Rushmore.
- Lari was asking for an answer to a question that she already knew the answer to.
- I think you will have already made up your mind about her from previous performances.
- We can add these to the displays we already have and hopefully answer a few questions.
- It would simply be more vicious treatment on top of what she has already suffered.
- She had already amassed four dustbins before the recent delivery of her wheeled bin.
- Rerina folded the clothes that were already done earlier and set them on the side.
- What we have done in the past has already proved successful at Rennes and at Lyon.
- Other deals that are already in the public arena are also picking up steam again.
- There is no point bringing more laws in when we are so soft with the laws we already have.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.