In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(intimate friend)masculine amigo íntimofeminine amiga íntima
- He was my father, my mentor, my alter ego, my irreplaceable best friend.
- So he wants someone to love, and he's invited all his friends and/or alter egos to sing with him…haven't we heard this before?
2(other self)alter ego masculineotro yo masculine
- David Bowie has been recording popular music for well over 35 years, gaining initial notoriety for his multiple personalities and alter egos after ‘A Space Oddity.’
- It seems, then, that there is uncertainty from the start as to whether the apparently original self or its alter ego is the double in question.
- This second figure suggests an alter ego who is critical of the housewife's servile predicament.
- A psychiatrist advised the police that there was no generally accepted psychiatric disease which would permit a person to blame an alter ego.
- Pee-Wee was an instant hit, and became something of an alter ego for Reubens - there was no separating the character and the man behind it.
- I rejected the idea of using my alter ego film character for the interview, after all he never sold any of my films - why have him screw up the interview?
- Valen's counterfeit mutated into a destructive alter ego that was usually kept safely secluded in the subconscious.
- He had become a poet of alter egos, personae such as ‘Mathios Paskalis’ and ‘Stratis the Seafarer.’
- Jekyll ends up unleashing the worst of his personality and physically transforms into his evil alter ego, Mr Hyde.
- Cooper says he wanted to see if people's real lives were echoed in their digital alter egos in role-playing environments.
- Quality leather and period clothing is required, as is a unique registered Cowboy Action name to match your cowboy alter ego.
- As it turns out, Dr. Jekyll has invented a chemical formula that can turn a person into his alter ego.
- Princess Ai is a great character because she feels like my alter ego, but in a fantasy setting.
- It's the first try to get the message over that Dracula was a real person and in no way less brutal than his fictional alter ego.
- Now when the team sinks without trace you start to wonder about alter egos and bipolar personalities.
- Many times one gets the impression he would rather live life as his schizoid alter ego, a sulky, moody 12-year-old trapped in a man's body.
- He excels when playing the unselfish alter ego of his actual character as he tries to win back the heart of his lost love through familiar romantic gestures of old.
- The work also has affinities with Rodney Graham's filmic, psychological explorations of the self, in which the artist assumes various personae or alter egos.
- Was this person Mandy's alter ego, a woman they never knew?
- Avatars, or alter egos that people create for on-line games or singles spaces, would no doubt confirm his beliefs about the self-seduction of the masses by simulations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.