In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(to text) cambio masculine(to text) modificación feminine(to text) alteración feminine(to building) reforma feminine(to garment) arreglo masculine(changing style) reforma feminineshe made major alterations to the plan — cambió radicalmente los planes
- he's only made minor alterations to the schedule — solo ha introducido pequeños cambios / pequeñas modificaciones en el programa
- [ S ]closed for alterations — cerrado por reformas
- This alteration can cause significant changes in porosity and permeability.
- The scientists concerned with this recoloration of our sea say that the apparent alteration is down to climate change.
- Loops are readily formed without substantial alteration of the loop forming material.
- Certainly there has been no fundamental alteration in the basic law.
- The alteration to or imitation of older styles was not limited to the 19th century.
- Traffic flow in Kendal could be set for another alteration in an effort to improve safety on a busy stretch of road.
- Afterwards almost any alteration to the image can be made, such as hairstyle or eye colour.
- There was little alteration in the design of the silver penny in the two centuries following the Norman Conquest.
- The only major alteration was the transformation of a poky shower room and toilet into an elegant pampering place.
- His method was exacting, allowing no possibility of alteration or modification.
- Jung accepted that this course is never intractably fixed; it may at any time be subject to alteration.
- The matter can be referred back to the executive committee, to the full council or it can be passed without alteration.
- Not surprisingly, commuters in Strawberry Hill are rather upset by this alteration.
- Here was a chance to find out why we as a nation seem particularly keen on chemical mood alteration.
- Mineral grains are typically fractured and show dark alteration along grain boundaries and fractures.
- Is it even remotely possible that there will be a grand macro change without significant micro alteration here?
- The alteration is the latest in a series of changes affecting Westhoughton.
- Very many words were written on the possible reasons for this alteration, but I didn't read them.
- This alteration is thought to be mostly the result of the immune response to the virus.
- The fact that no objections were received to the proposed Local Plan alteration adds further weight to this view.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.