In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(other)an alternative plan/method — otro plan/método
- they offered her alternative accommodation — le ofrecieron alojamiento en otro sitio
- I know an alternative route — yo conozco otro camino
- In fact the experience made me wish that I had taken an alternative form of transport.
- In recent years several sites have been examined as a possible alternative home for the Abbey.
- Peanut flour is a cheap and quick alternative method for thickening dishes.
- We will be contacting them again when an alternative service is available.
- Bosses have promised to find alternative jobs within the company for as many people as possible.
- An alternative method is to use a blow torch which will soften the varnish or paint, allowing easy removal with a scraper.
- An alternative surface level crossing is also available, so road crossing is unaffected.
- It is perfectly possible that an alternative government would overturn a hunting ban.
- Our lease expires next year and we need to find an alternative home as quickly as possible.
- They are being offered alternative seats as similar as possible to the ones they have at Maine Road.
- Where such data are not available, there are alternative ways of securing suitable information.
- I mean they ought to be able to reflect on possible alternative views, and some do.
- The council wants children to be aware of alternative, greener methods of getting to school.
- If it is not available, an alternative venue would have to be found or the hearing adjourned.
- Walsh says the company will just have to be innovative in seeking alternative forms of finance.
- Can you talk about how and why it was humanism that triumphed over alternative possibilities?
- He even suggests that the argument has merit by moving onto the issue of possible alternative sources of funding.
- Which of all the uneliminated alternative possibilities may not properly be ignored?
- Organisers have also made sure there will be alternative traffic routes available.
- Occasionally, though, I do browse around for alternative flavours and new experiences.
2(progressive, radical)(lifestyle/medicine/theatre) alternativo
- Are you influenced by alternative music, is that something you have a passion for?
- She loves alternative music and watching all sorts of sports though she says she is a total loser at most of them.
- Bizarrely, it completely omits any reference to alternative lifestyles or kinks of any kind.
- I think this is what appealed to our adolescent selves, as it appeals to a lot of fans of alternative music.
- The music is mainstream alternative pop and rock music, with little or no variation.
- They've been known to hassle people who choose alternative lifestyles and dodge taxes.
- There are lots of alternative lifestyles in the area, as can be seen by the area's cafés and stores.
- Find the best alternative therapy for your lifestyle and health needs.
- They insisted it was the only venue for alternative music in this city of 850,000 people.
- The band Hell is for Heroes has denounced it as ‘a great blow to alternative music’.
- Both traditional doctors and alternative therapists work to the best of their ability in any given situation.
- It used to sell books and pamphlets about alternative cultures and lifestyles.
- Look at some of the most experimental alternative music going around at the moment.
- Terror Trax was a haven for what we hoped would be the next phase of alternative music.
- Witchcraft has come out of the shadows and is entering British society as a viable alternative lifestyle.
- Coldplay were also winners, taking the alternative music album award for Parachutes.
- Here in the States, alternative media have become extremely compartmentalised.
- I was living an alternative lifestyle before anyone had thought of the expression.
- An article such as this one marks a sad day in the realm of so-called alternative press.
- Listening to this record momentarily makes one feel that all is well in alternative music.
1alternativa feminineyou have no (other) alternative but to resign — no te queda otra alternativa que dimitir
- he chose the alternative of renting a car — optó por alquilar un coche
- alternative to sth/-ing
- there are alternatives to flying — volar no es la única forma de viajar
- Each client is informed about what foods to avoid and advised about alternatives they can eat and drink.
- In the light of the discontent on the back-benches, we have to have alternatives.
- Shouldn't we take this opportunity to review the situation and debate alternatives?
- The evening that it started, the local news ran a story on possible alternatives to driving.
- If you don't want to go the whole hog by designing and building your own house, there are alternatives.
- Teenagers at the meeting said they hung around on street corners as there were no alternatives for them.
- You are better off to have a number of alternatives available to you in case of an emergency.
- It's making me feel better just knowing that I have alternatives to the current situation.
- It assumes that citizens are rational and aware of all possible alternatives.
- Our task is to ensure that there are real alternatives from which people may choose.
- The lack of alternatives to an illegal action does not legitimise that action.
- Ministers claim that an adequate alternative is available for men and women who are cohabiting.
- Are there no alternatives that might provide better options for gay people?
- We cannot say that alternatives have not been tried but it is possible that we have not tried hard enough.
- This had been set up by left wing activists as an alternative to the mainstream, segregated colleges.
- The launch of Oven Chips offered a healthier and more convenient alternative to traditional chips.
- It is not as if there is some ready alternative available to citizens carrying out official duties.
- She is a constant reminder that an alternative was once possible, which might flower again.
- There is no excuse for wearing real fur with so many humane alternatives now available.
- It will also be a great chance to discuss what sort of alternatives to capitalism are possible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.