In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(other)an alternative plan/method — otro plan/método
- they offered her alternative accommodation — le ofrecieron alojamiento en otro sitio
- I know an alternative route — yo conozco otro camino
2(progressive, radical)(medicine/theatre/lifestyle) alternativo
1alternativa feminineyou have no (other) alternative but to resign — no te queda otra alternativa que dimitir
- he chose the alternative of renting a car — optó por alquilar un coche
- alternative to sth/ -ing
- there are alternatives to flying — volar no es la única forma de viajar
- Organisers have also made sure there will be alternative traffic routes available.
- Our lease expires next year and we need to find an alternative home as quickly as possible.
- Where such data are not available, there are alternative ways of securing suitable information.
- Peanut flour is a cheap and quick alternative method for thickening dishes.
- I mean they ought to be able to reflect on possible alternative views, and some do.
- It is perfectly possible that an alternative government would overturn a hunting ban.
- Occasionally, though, I do browse around for alternative flavours and new experiences.
- We will be contacting them again when an alternative service is available.
- He even suggests that the argument has merit by moving onto the issue of possible alternative sources of funding.
- In fact the experience made me wish that I had taken an alternative form of transport.
- In recent years several sites have been examined as a possible alternative home for the Abbey.
- Can you talk about how and why it was humanism that triumphed over alternative possibilities?
- The council wants children to be aware of alternative, greener methods of getting to school.
- An alternative surface level crossing is also available, so road crossing is unaffected.
- An alternative method is to use a blow torch which will soften the varnish or paint, allowing easy removal with a scraper.
- They are being offered alternative seats as similar as possible to the ones they have at Maine Road.
- Bosses have promised to find alternative jobs within the company for as many people as possible.
- If it is not available, an alternative venue would have to be found or the hearing adjourned.
- Walsh says the company will just have to be innovative in seeking alternative forms of finance.
- Which of all the uneliminated alternative possibilities may not properly be ignored?
- Find the best alternative therapy for your lifestyle and health needs.
- They've been known to hassle people who choose alternative lifestyles and dodge taxes.
- Listening to this record momentarily makes one feel that all is well in alternative music.
- Are you influenced by alternative music, is that something you have a passion for?
- Bizarrely, it completely omits any reference to alternative lifestyles or kinks of any kind.
- She loves alternative music and watching all sorts of sports though she says she is a total loser at most of them.
- I think this is what appealed to our adolescent selves, as it appeals to a lot of fans of alternative music.
- Witchcraft has come out of the shadows and is entering British society as a viable alternative lifestyle.
- I was living an alternative lifestyle before anyone had thought of the expression.
- Coldplay were also winners, taking the alternative music album award for Parachutes.
- There are lots of alternative lifestyles in the area, as can be seen by the area's cafés and stores.
- It used to sell books and pamphlets about alternative cultures and lifestyles.
- Here in the States, alternative media have become extremely compartmentalised.
- Look at some of the most experimental alternative music going around at the moment.
- The music is mainstream alternative pop and rock music, with little or no variation.
- Terror Trax was a haven for what we hoped would be the next phase of alternative music.
- Both traditional doctors and alternative therapists work to the best of their ability in any given situation.
- They insisted it was the only venue for alternative music in this city of 850,000 people.
- An article such as this one marks a sad day in the realm of so-called alternative press.
- The band Hell is for Heroes has denounced it as ‘a great blow to alternative music’.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.