In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(female singer)contralto feminine
- As the main emphasis of the courses lies in the choir made up of all participants, space is limited to approximately twenty sopranos, twelve altos and counter-tenors, and sixteen basses.
- She was an alto trying to sing soprano and missing.
- A lot of people have said that we do have similar singing voices, although in fact I'm a mezzo soprano and Sandy is an alto.
- The society is currently looking for tenors basses, altos and sopranos to join the adult choir.
- I'm an alto, but people keep making me sing soprano.
2(male singer)contratenor masculinealto masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.