In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There have been far too many acts of generosity and altruism to list.
- Misguided though this might have been, my grandfather was motivated by altruism and a deep belief in human dignity.
- Most health professionals are motivated by altruism and concern for patients' best interests.
- My grandmother, who is in an excellent state home, is of an age group who have shown a level of altruism and self-sacrifice that beggars belief.
- The notions of duty and altruism are vital for a tolerant, healthy society.
- Certainly no one should imagine media corporations are suddenly guided by selfless altruism.
- Both had their critics, but none of their detractors would doubt their altruism and social commitment.
- Patients who take part in trials do so at least partly from altruism.
- The free sharing of information has nothing to do with altruism or a specific anti-authoritarian social vision.
- Naturally, Asian governments are not acting out of pure altruism - even though in many cases they could get a better return on their investment at home.
- I argued at the time altruism was being discussed that there is no pure altruism.
- These enlightened and evolved people believe in altruism, idealism, and activism.
- The fans are not altogether convinced by his altruism.
- The degree to which a society values altruism, known as social responsibility norms, can also have an effect.
- Hiking fanatics can mix self-gratification with altruism by trekking through the wilderness for charity this weekend.
- It can't be easy for people to leave home and come to a new place, even when the people in the new place are full of altruism and eagerness to help.
- It is not altruism that is at work here; it is globalisation.
- It brought out the very best in people: altruism, tolerance, noble-mindedness, and openness to others.
- He should have such virtues as compassion, love, generosity, and altruism.
- It is as much corporate self-interest as corporate altruism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.