- I have no idea how it's manufactured, but it's a kind of alum, a double sulfate of aluminum in crystal salt form.
- This, washed and then boiled, yielded aluminium sulphate, which, when ammonia was added, became alum.
- Astringent varieties contain alum, which makes your mouth pucker when the fruits are eaten before they're fully ripe.
- One site said that clarifying agents could control snails, so I sent my son to the chemist for alum.
- It could also be treated by rubbing salt, brain or potash alum into the surface to produce a very pale leather.