In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He found a major cause of bronchial asthma and many other chronic diseases to be a deficiency of carbon dioxide in the alveolus of our lungs.
- Many alveoli in the functioning lung can remain at low volume for extended periods.
- Scientists also suspect that air pollutants might dampen the growth of alveoli, tiny air sacs in the lungs.
- Holes in the lungs occur as the alveoli air sacs break down.
- As altitude increases above sea level, atmospheric pressure drops with a parallel decrease in the amount of oxygen available at the blood/air interface in the lung alveolus.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.