In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Combine the pleasures of both with holiday red amaryllis and pristine white tulips and fragrant hyacinths.
- For my home, I would just go for something simple, like a nice vase of tulips or amaryllis.
- Many southern gardens don't have tulips, forsythia or daffodils, but instead have guava, pineapple and amaryllis.
- Saillen said he is struck by the beauty of strong, vibrant flowers, like amaryllis, banana flowers and birds of paradise.
- The plant is another South African native and is related to amaryllis.
- Cheryl Howie of Iowa keeps her amaryllis standing straight with a unique plant stake she made out of a Frisbee and a few wooden dowels.
- The two easiest bulbs to force are paper-white narcissus and amaryllis.
- The amaryllis is ideal for people who have little time or inclination to spend on high-maintenance flowers and plants.
- Fertilize amaryllis regularly during the growth cycle starting one month after planting (when active growth is underway).
- Plant amaryllis bulbs in containers early this month for Thanksgiving bloom or in late October for Christmas bloom.
- The large-flowered amaryllis we're used to seeing at this time of year carry huge blossoms - 8 and even 10 inches across.
- Dasan took his time to makes memorials for all his people, 500 crosses with an amaryllis flower tied to it.
- Many amaryllis bulbs sold in autumn are (botanically speaking) hippeastrum bulbs.
- For amaryllis, allow the bulbs to dry out from mid-August through mid-November, then water and feed to promote bloom.
- Some bulbs, such as amaryllis and paperwhites, can readily be brought into flower in time for the winter holidays if you start about five or six weeks in advance.
- Potted amaryllis that flowered at Christmas may bloom again the following holiday season if you take a few steps to program the flowering.
- Potted amaryllis bulbs top-dressed with moss make welcome gifts.
- Take time for some indoor gardening activities with your children, such as preparing your favorite amaryllis bulbs - kids will marvel at how quickly the plants develop.
- Butterfly amaryllis and other species do not require a dormancy period.
- I also dug the amaryllis, which I plant out each summer after their winter show.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.