In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Fertilize amaryllis regularly during the growth cycle starting one month after planting (when active growth is underway).
- Potted amaryllis that flowered at Christmas may bloom again the following holiday season if you take a few steps to program the flowering.
- Some bulbs, such as amaryllis and paperwhites, can readily be brought into flower in time for the winter holidays if you start about five or six weeks in advance.
- Combine the pleasures of both with holiday red amaryllis and pristine white tulips and fragrant hyacinths.
- Plant amaryllis bulbs in containers early this month for Thanksgiving bloom or in late October for Christmas bloom.
- Saillen said he is struck by the beauty of strong, vibrant flowers, like amaryllis, banana flowers and birds of paradise.
- For amaryllis, allow the bulbs to dry out from mid-August through mid-November, then water and feed to promote bloom.
- The large-flowered amaryllis we're used to seeing at this time of year carry huge blossoms - 8 and even 10 inches across.
- Butterfly amaryllis and other species do not require a dormancy period.
- The two easiest bulbs to force are paper-white narcissus and amaryllis.
- Many amaryllis bulbs sold in autumn are (botanically speaking) hippeastrum bulbs.
- Take time for some indoor gardening activities with your children, such as preparing your favorite amaryllis bulbs - kids will marvel at how quickly the plants develop.
- The plant is another South African native and is related to amaryllis.
- Many southern gardens don't have tulips, forsythia or daffodils, but instead have guava, pineapple and amaryllis.
- Cheryl Howie of Iowa keeps her amaryllis standing straight with a unique plant stake she made out of a Frisbee and a few wooden dowels.
- Dasan took his time to makes memorials for all his people, 500 crosses with an amaryllis flower tied to it.
- The amaryllis is ideal for people who have little time or inclination to spend on high-maintenance flowers and plants.
- I also dug the amaryllis, which I plant out each summer after their winter show.
- For my home, I would just go for something simple, like a nice vase of tulips or amaryllis.
- Potted amaryllis bulbs top-dressed with moss make welcome gifts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.