In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Amazon — el Amazonas
- before noun the Amazon basin — la cuenca amazónica / del Amazonas
- the Amazon jungle — la selva amazónica
1amazona feminineshe's a real Amazon — es una verdadera amazona
- In the 5th century political symbolism was couched in mythological terms, and the battles of gods and giants, Greeks and Amazons or Trojans, and Lapiths and centaurs stood for the historical battles of the Persian Wars.
- The ancient Greeks believed that there had been Amazons and celebrated their victory over them.
- Still, there seems to be a kind of secretive admiration of the Amazons by the male myth makers.
- Theseus defeated the Amazons in battle and took one of their captive leaders as his wife or concubine.
- What makes all this more ironic is that these exhausted women were the original Amazons, the warrior caste Alexander supposedly would not fight.
- The first theme relates to the Christian iconography of Charity, and the eighteenth-century cult of Nature, as we shall see; the second to classical mythology about virgin goddesses and warrior Amazons.
- Some radical historians, Bacher said, believed the tribe was descended from seafaring Scythian Amazons fleeing the encroachment of imperial Greece.
- Early map-makers were happy to leave blanks for terra incognita or to stock those empty spaces with headless cannibals, giant monopeds, Amazons and dragons.
- Perhaps the most widely known of legendary women warriors are the Greek Amazons and the Nordic Valkyries.
- Eleanor and some of her entourage appeared before the barons dressed as Amazons, declaring their willingness to fight for Christ.
- These legendary Amazons appear in several Greek fables.
- While Boadicea was a warrior woman, the Amazons were not, primarily because their existence is wholly fictitious.
- Hippolyta is the conquered queen of Amazons who marries Theseus and returns to Athens with him.
- The ancient Herodotus thought the Amazons did exist, but were extinct by the time that he lived.
- The very idea of the Amazons, of ruthless women warriors who live apart from men, excites people at a deep level.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.