In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)embajador extraordinario masculineembajadora extraordinaria feminine
- He championed human rights issues, was appointed ambassador-at-large by President Jimmy Carter, and worked tirelessly as an advocate before his death in 1990.
- The building is named after Daniel J. Terra, the U.S. ambassador-at-large for cultural affairs during the Reagan administration.
- Hakim has become Indonesia's cultural ambassador-at-large, nurturing young talent and introducing producers and actors to international backers.
- He's ambassador-at-large for war crimes issues at the State Department.
- In his declining years, Carnegie served as a kind of ambassador-at-large for world peace.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.