In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- My ambivalence over speaking at the funeral was compounded when dad asked if I would do a scripture reading.
- Montgomerie is equally tentative, possibly because he senses Kidd's ambivalence.
- At every stage, ambivalence and indecision has meant that decisions were forced upon them by events on the ground.
- In the past, I might have struggled to join in, concealing my ambivalence with uncertain assertions.
- There is deep British ambivalence about openly acknowledging this.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.