In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(vehicle/troops) tenderle una emboscada athey were ambushed by guerrillas — los guerrilleros les tendieron una emboscada
- While waging a gutsy campaign against liver disease, he was ambushed by stomach cancer and succumbed within a few months.
- Two Burnley youths who ambushed two men in a motorway under-pass have been sentenced to two years detention.
- Howard survived, just as he did in January when he was ambushed in a North Side car wash.
- I think they might have let me know in advance what they were planning instead of ambushing me, don't you?
- A man was ambushed and mugged by three men lying in wait as he walked home from a football match.
- Calida had barely made it to the bottom of the stairs when Esmerelda ambushed her.
- So while we were in the cart, some of my soldiers ambushed the officers and stole their uniforms.
- The old man followed her into the dark hall, where he was ambushed by several dozen rebels.
- They heard how he was ambushed as he drove from Keighley Leisure Centre by two car loads of heavily-armed and masked thugs.
- A woman was ambushed by carjackers who threatened her with a gun and made off with her BMW convertible last week.
- Perhaps we have stumbled upon a party intent on ambushing us and raiding our lands.
- The prosecution said that Vang ambushed some victims and chased one.
- A specialist team ambushed the men, who were in a red estate car, as they prepared to head into Glasgow from Kirkintilloch.
- He was ambushed by two men firing shotguns as his cab pulled up outside.
- Kirsty revealed how she had spoken to Paul on his mobile phone only moments before he was ambushed.
- The police ambushed the dealer in a bogus arrest, stripped him of cash and drugs then sent him on his way.
- A masked robber, who was wielding a baseball bat, ambushed the first employee as he went outside to the bins.
- The Marines just happened to come upon them an hour after the soldiers were ambushed.
- It was as he walked across the car park at the front of the sports centre that he was ambushed and assaulted so viciously that he lost consciousness.
- A young Ilkley landlord is recovering from a terrifying ordeal in which he was ambushed by two armed burglars.
1emboscada feminineto lay an ambush (for sb/sth) — tender(le) una emboscada (a algn/algo)
- they lay / waited in ambush for the column to pass — esperaron emboscados a que pasara la columna
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.