In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Change me Lord, for your glory and for the extension of your Kingdom, in Jesus wonderful and mighty name I pray, amen!
- We look to you for help and strength and ask you to minister comfort and strength to each these families today in the lovely name of Jesus, we pray, amen.
- ‘Name of Jesus, amen,’ he said as he lifted himself into the bed.
- Help me by the power of the Holy Spirit, to seek your presence, and help me Lord to be aware of your presence, as you continue to fill me with your complete joy, in Jesus wonderful name I pray, amen!
- I am He that liveth and was dead and behold, I am alive forever more amen.
- Nonetheless, since his intention was toward God, and we hear the entire blessing from his mouth, we respond amen.
- And we don't know the future, but we know you hold it so we trust you and we ask you to just work a miracle in Jesus's name, amen.
- For what we are about the receive, may the lord make us truly thankful, amen.
- When we say the act of contrition, at least the old act of contrition, in the Catholic Church, we say, ‘I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life, amen.’
- But what should matter is that I am here and amen, amen, amen.
- I ask this in the wonderful name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus, in whose name I pray, amen.
- I hope you are alright, your family loves you, please come home, amen.
- I've found it in my heart to forgive you, praise Jesus, amen.
- The throng surrounding them shouted affirming hallelujahs and amens, flapping and singing, rattling their tambourines and bleating their horns.
- The rabbinic visions of blessings and amens is expressed by the verse: the King's glory is in the multitude of the nation.
- The reporter observed that this comment was met with amens and hallelujahs.
- The amens became more frequent and much louder.
- And we can share loving, supportive amens, praying that one another's petitions come true, adding our voices to each other's grateful thanksgivings.
- Neither of them can concentrate long enough to finish a prayer, unless they hurry to the amen.
- Recited as a mantra, for example, at the beginning and end of prayers - something approximating the Christian amen but much more important - it is a sound that expresses the divine.
- I remember periods of quietness broken by screams and chants, followed by the shaking of bodies and the amens.
- Our amens spoken, the mother looked at me and smiled.
- I just looked around the whole time, and then heard everyone repeat amen, so I did the same.
- After the last amen, the chatter broke out around the table again.
- The audience could hear every word, and the harmony was so rich, so compelling, that the congregation sat on the edges of their seats, amens and applause at the ready.
- If one prays, blessed is God who heals the sick, then those who respond amen add their prayer, too, that God heal the suffering.
- If only we could learn to be still before adding our 'Amens'.
- In one amen the cake was gone and the party began.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.