In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- By filibustering, senators attempt to prevent a vote on a measure or amendment.
- There were two citizen petitions against the bill and one advising amendment.
- There can be a further committee stage if this is required for further amendment to the legislation.
- It is encouraging that we have gained some concessions, but more are needed, such as a joint committee and amendment of key words in the bill.
- Supporters of that amendment admit they are still well short of the votes needed for approval.
- Not enough people in Michigan understood the consequences of passing that amendment.
- I am aware of members of my own congregation who would be adversely affected by this amendment.
- Since no such amendment has passed, we can't be sure what the consequences would be.
- I have not received a request for amendment from any attendee.
- They say they will settle for nothing less than an amendment to the legislation.
- There is absolutely no purpose in the law and in reality for this amendment.
- The court observed that a new claim is not made by amendment until the pleading is amended.
- What exactly were the lawsuits against which this amendment was being specially enacted?
- It could be brought about only by way of Treaty amendment.
- Bishop Nigel McCulloch was travelling to London to support an amendment to the higher education bill in the House of Lords.
- This key amendment was defeated, leaving words in the Act that must be given meaning.
- The amendments allow the next parliament to make changes after the document is approved.
- The problems have arisen out of a maze of interacting statutory provisions, which have been subject to frequent amendment.
- The Administration supports this amendment and so should we.
- The final point is an amendment to existing legislation and refers to the wearing of safety helmets.
2(to constitution, legislation)enmienda feminineI'd like to move an amendment to the motion — quisiera proponer una enmienda a la moción
- a constitutional amendment — una enmienda constitucional
- (in US) the First/Second Amendment — la Primera/Segunda Enmienda
- On the one hand, it's probably a violation of the 14th Amendment and its implementation can lead to abuse and tribalism.
- To guard against the very reasonable fear mentioned above, Madison proposed the 9th Amendment.
- The notices make no mention of the protections of the First Amendment.
- The Constitution and its Amendments protect the People from their Government.
- Like all of the Amendments to the Constitution, the Fourth Amendment is open to interpretation because of a tension - deeply embedded in American culture and politics - between individual rights and communal responsibilities.
- To repeal the 16th Amendment would require a constitutional amendment.
- In the USA in August 1920 President Wilson signed the 19th Amendment, which finally gave women the right to vote.
- We were given the right to vote in the Amendments to the Constitution - number 19 to be exact!
- More than 130 years later, many subsequent applications of the 14th Amendment seem obvious.
- However, the US Constitution describes the free individual through implication - through the exemptions represented by the Amendments rather than through the assertions represented by the Constitution itself.
- I guess the strongest form of Bill of Rights would certainly be the American Bill of Rights which were the Amendments to the American Constitution in the 18th century.
- The Second Amendment is as important as the First Amendment.
- The twenty-four Amendments to the Constitution bind us together to form a nation and help unite us with our government.
- We are sure that many of those who were in her position did not support the Government, but were unwilling to sacrifice their political careers by voting for the Amendment.
- Consequently, not only is a real understanding of the values underlying the Constitution and its Amendments necessary, so is a willingness to act when necessary to protect those ideals.
3formal(in behavior)mejora feminineenmienda feminine formal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.