- The patterns and motifs are highly complex, ranging from starbursts and amoebic shapes to flowers and birds.
- Fever is the presenting symptom in 10 to 15 percent of patients, and therefore amebic abscess should be considered in patients with a fever of unknown origin.
- Approximately a third of cases of dysentery were classified amoebic, a third as bacillary and the rest remained undifferentiated.
- Elsewhere, amoebic abscesses are more common, and, worldwide, amoebae are the commonest cause.
- If you develop an amoebic liver abscess and have not responded well to antibiotic treatment after seven days, or there is a high risk that the abscess may rupture, your doctor may suggest a small operation to drain the abscess.