In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The patterns and motifs are highly complex, ranging from starbursts and amoebic shapes to flowers and birds.
- Fever is the presenting symptom in 10 to 15 percent of patients, and therefore amebic abscess should be considered in patients with a fever of unknown origin.
- Approximately a third of cases of dysentery were classified amoebic, a third as bacillary and the rest remained undifferentiated.
- Elsewhere, amoebic abscesses are more common, and, worldwide, amoebae are the commonest cause.
- If you develop an amoebic liver abscess and have not responded well to antibiotic treatment after seven days, or there is a high risk that the abscess may rupture, your doctor may suggest a small operation to drain the abscess.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.