In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(quantity)cantidad feminineI spent a huge amount of time on the project — invertí muchísimo tiempo en el proyecto
- to increase/reduce the amount of current/heat — subir/bajar la corriente/temperatura
- The first period totalled up a paltry amount of three genuine opportunities.
- This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.
- The total amount of sunlight energy over all of the spectrum is important in heating vines and soils.
- This is in total contrast to the amount of walking or exercise involving the use of the legs.
- Purchases must be fit for their purpose - they should work for a reasonable amount of time.
- Hopefully my legs will permit a reasonable amount of wandering about places of interest.
- I think, if we know we have a reasonable amount of work on the books, we'll take it.
- Also important are the factors that control the total amount of water in the body at any particular time.
- If it is prolonged and performance is affected, this will affect the total amount of coverage we get.
- Not only was the total amount of tuber starch reduced, but its composition was also affected.
- The swept volume is the amount of volume that the piston moves through as it moves up and down.
- Well, if the universe is flat, this tells us something about the total amount of mass and energy in it.
- One of the joys of working in Manchester is that you can walk from one end to the other in a reasonable amount of time.
- Lorries were seen as a particular risk due to their size and the amount of chemicals they could be carrying.
- In places you cannot see the spring shoots which are beginning to peep through because of the amount of rubbish.
- The extent and the amount of the work involved was not defined in the Contract.
- What was a reasonable amount of time to wait for a chicken burger to be prepared, anyway?
- In the first half of pregnancy it is normal for the total amount of thyroid hormone to be slightly increased.
- There is no denying that one of the major causes of obesity is the amount of food that we eat and the portion sizes.
- If you live in a built-up area, you have to expect a certain amount of noise.
2(sum of money)cantidad femininesuma feminineadd the two amounts together — sume las dos cantidades
- the full / total amount was over $10,000 — el (importe) total ascendía a más de $10.000
- It says this is costing substantial amounts of money which would otherwise be used on patient care.
- These will see the fund paying out reasonable compensations instead of huge amounts of money as is presently done.
- Drivers contribute huge amounts of money to the government through road tax, tax on car sales, and we all know about fuel duty.
- You never know when something will pay off, and for the trivial amounts of money it costs, the returns are enormous.
- Having expended large amounts of money on multiculturalism, they are hardly likely to criticise it.
- Massive amounts of money were spent helping the airlines fund new security precautions.
- The government had set aside significant amounts of money to rebuild the city, but inflation meant that this was still not enough.
- In recent elections soft money has become a way for wealthy individuals to contribute large amounts of money to the political parties.
- Experience has shown us that the best way to sustain partnership is to contribute small amounts of money on a regular basis.
- Administration, equipment and maintaining venues cost huge amounts of money.
- The numbers of delinquents and the estimated amounts of tax money involved have not been detailed.
- The dome is not the only monstrous carbuncle currently swallowing obscene amounts of public money.
- I mean, we bring in millions of dollars in terms of research money, huge amounts.
- So with the aim of contracting for projects, the constructor spends huge amounts of money on bribes.
- Careful money management rather than throwing vast amounts of sums of money at the problem is certainly a key way forward.
- By donating large amounts of money, wealthy individuals are able to signal their economic prowess.
- Feel free to spend inordinate amounts of money and fund my house survey.
- They didn't get all they asked for I might say, but they got specific amounts of money for specific purposes.
- This is important because longstanding disciplinary processes cost the country huge amounts of money.
- We are losing vast amounts of tax money, as well as the respect of the people.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.