In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1persona a la que se le ha amputado un miembro
- It is this concrete fact, this reality, which gives the parachuting artificial limbs, the madly scurrying amputees, its terrifying metaphoric power.
- He believes the technique could be developed within a decade to restore movement to a tetraplegic's hand or feeling to a prosthetic leg used by an amputee.
- I'm learning a whole new vocabulary, a secret lexicon known only to amputees and prosthetists.
- In the past few years he has turned his attention to achieving similar results for upper and lower limb amputees and has generated similar controversy.
- Having said this, though, would the brain perceive a ‘phantom body’, analogous to the phantom limbs that amputees feel?
- That's how stroke victims learn to talk and walk again, and how amputees learn to use their remaining arm as well as they once used the lost one.
- They create artificial limbs and calipers for amputees and polio victims, enabling them to live full, normal lives.
- For example, your pain could be similar to the phantom pain some amputees feel in their amputated limbs.
- I know all too well how vital a well-made and comfortable artificial limb is to an amputee.
- At this time of year, I get a sensation comparable to that experienced by an amputee who remains attached to a long-departed limb.
- He blackmails a doctor to perform a drastic surgery, leaving him a true amputee.
- Some members of the population, such as amputees, will never be able to use certain recognition systems, leading to possible social exclusion.
- One third of amputees lose the opposite foot in 5 years.
- As the number of amputees grew, so did improvements to artificial limbs.
- When amputation is necessary, rehabilitation of the amputee is an important adjunct to management.
- Most amputees continue to feel sensations after losing a limb.
- Thus the functional disadvantage is less for child amputees.
- My question is, I'm wondering if you support stem-cell research in hopes that they may produce new limbs for amputees.
- Both were amputees and therefore wear artificial limbs.
- In tests, four amputees were able to program their artificial arms with sets of muscle signals for executing complex feats such as opening the door of a microwave oven.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.