In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Below the depth of oxygen penetration life is restricted to anaerobic bacteria.
- Sugar availability is one of the elements required to support anaerobic metabolism.
- River water begins to putrefy when lack of oxygen promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria, which produce the tell-tale smell of stale water.
- They found the samples contained anaerobic bacteria that grew on sugars and proteins in total absence of oxygen.
- These results show that storage starch in pondweed stems is the main substrate for anaerobic respiration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.