In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(tradition/civilizations/ruin/Egypt) antiguothe Ancient World — la antigüedad
- in ancient times — en la antigüedad
- Their lives are disrupted when an ancient sword belonging to Li - the legendary Green Destiny - is stolen and the main suspect is the murderous fugitive Jade Fox.
- He said Love Lane was an historic footpath which was said to be the ancient way from the Forest of Galtres to the City of York.
- Squinting through nostalgia's rose-tinted eye, I see beautifully realised dungeons and ancient forests with evil monsters and talking walls and things.
- It has the backing of the Walmgate Against Crime Action Group, a consortium of residents and businesses which has been working behind the scenes to improve this ancient gateway to our city.
- The forests are ancient, and there's evidence that man has been here for some time, with rock paintings dating back 5,000 years.
- His knowledge of French, Italian and German also lets him read modern research in the classics and ancient civilizations.
- Some say my epiphanic places are places I've known in past lives, and that what I'm feeling is the distant echo of ancient memories, sweetened with the savor of immortality.
- Faidros Kavallaris belongs to the ancient culture of Greece.
- Simply put, the tactic has been to make the Clayoquot issue too hard to follow, and in the confusion evade having to fundamentally change the practice of logging in ancient forests.
- It is about the survival of the ancient shola forests of Tamil Nadu, with whatever is left of their endemic flora and fauna after the tampering of colonial and independent India.
- Led by experienced guides, Jasber also climbed the extinct Losimingori volcano, walked through the ancient oasis of Silela Forest and visited a Masai village.
- As night falls, the young boys are led away into the forest, chanting ancient songs as they follow the lamps away from childhood.
- Often no more than a single lane, it coils around villages perched on precipices, past waterfalls and over ancient stone bridges.
- Despite all of the above I am proud to belong to this ancient land.
- He also fails to mention the growing interest of many Iranians in their ancient past and faith and the possible repercussions for the country.
- Women were banned from competing and spectating at the original Games, and shot put is barely 100 years old, so the direct linkage with the ancient past was tenuous.
- Temple Bar used to be located where the Strand meets Fleet Street, one of the ancient gateways into the City of London, named after the local Inns of Court.
- Most of us realize that humanity made a grave mistake by considering ancient civilizations to be primitive.
- Touch-therapy, as practised by Mr. Varade, belongs to the ancient Siddha tradition of healing and can be practised long-distance as well.
- I suggest to Ferdinand that he was already well on the way and now felt open to learning much more about his ancient and early past and that he was prepared to go on searching this with me.
- He has been collecting ancient coins for the past 30 years and has about 2,500 coins dating back to various civilizations.
- The Marathi playwright and Marxist intellectual turns to India's ancient past to pinpoint the moment of empire.
- His study thereby substantially advances the base of our awareness and knowledge of this fascinating period of our ancient past.
- While few details of the screenplay, written by Gibson himself, have been released, the story concerns an ancient civilization 3000 years in the past.
- I am on a rattly bus heading past a huge ancient pyramid.
- Such fires were rare in the past; most ancient blazes barely reached waist level.
- We're busy spending quadrillions of dollars trying to find out if, like, a dozen microbes maybe once lived on Mars sometime in the ancient past.
- Fang Binghai has collected over 200 ancient boxes over the past 13 years.
- According to the newspaper, the coin belonged to an ancient civilization that flourished in Al-Jouf.
- There weren't any Roman emperors about to barter oysters weight by weight for gold, as they did in the ancient past.
- Past ancient treasures that stretched away into the distance in adjoining rooms.
- My pinball skills were no longer celebrated, I was a has-been, a thing of the ancient past.
- A few of the other welcoming faces belonged to friends from my ancient past as a corporate drone.
- In those gold borders I lived apart from the happy, academic families, with their distant stasis of ancient language.
- Spirit landed in the middle of Gusev Crater, a 95-mile-wide depression scientists believe contained a lake during the ancient past.
- He will probably be promising to do that long after the internal combustion engine is a relic of the ancient past.
- But it is not only the ancient past that concerns them.
- And across our bloody meadows, open commons, and ancient forests Britain's heritage army is steeling itself for combat.
- My preference would be to close this valuable ancient gateway to all transport, by allowing incoming traffic to use a new road to the left of the bar, replacing the present pedestrian only access.
- From the hut, hike up through the barren moonscape of the lower mountain, past ancient aqueducts and cliff bands.
2informal(old)she has an ancient record player — tiene un tocadiscos prehistórico / del año de la pera / de Maricastaña informal
- 37? but you're absolutely ancient! — ¿37? ¡qué vejestorio!
- The neighboring buildings had been updated and shuffled from owner to owner, but this one still had an ancient sign with peeling paint and faded print.
- Young defender Gareth Barry is a bright spot, but signing two ancient pros in Luc Nillis and David Ginola is finger in the dyke stuff.
- He had been doing some research on that most ancient and worn out of vessels.
- I lashed the clothes that I had been brought to wear at the hospital into the bag, a couple of ancient pairs of socks that felt suddenly found and familiar.
- It's hard to let go of that ancient bike, rusting quietly away in the corner of the shed, cobwebbed to the first lawnmower you ever owned.
- An ancient sign warns of the danger of walking on the luscious looking sod on the edge of the cliffs.
- Sometimes, when my father was feeling benevolent, he would ‘double’ either my sister or me on his ancient Massey Harris bike down to the Aussie.
- Going down the Pacific Coast Highway I spotted an ancient looking sign for a place called Trader Ric's.
- The reason why my cranium was not injured was because I was wearing an ancient, yellow climbing helmet.
- An ancient sign nailed to the front of the largest barn bore the inscription Dog's Ear.
- I've now lost more than necessary, and am again able to wear ancient pairs of jeans from my youth.
- Her normally perfectly coifed black hair hung in long tangles, and she wore an ancient gown torn into shreds.
- Then you walk past the ancient jukebox - but have no fear!
- Coasting loose-limbed on an ancient bike, almost Cassius-faced in a green wool coat.
- Yan performed at Yifu Theatre this Sunday, acting as an ancient official, wearing a long beard.
- Brandon looked back at Lana, and noticed she was sobbing in the arms of a tall boy wearing an ancient football jersey.
- One had an ancient, baby-blue sign with pink elephants in the corners - Ward 1 and Nursery.
- Someone cranks up a pair of ancient machines capable of playing videotapes and DVDs.
- He wore faded Wranglers, ancient cowboy boots and a brown, plaid Western - style shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.
- His room is narrow, high-roofed, and cold, his mattress worn, his blankets ancient, but he does not care.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.