In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Venus made Adonis an anemone when a boar killed him.
- The woods are nice, carpeted in the blue, yellow and white of bluebells, buttercups and anemones.
- While exploring the woods near his home, he came across a forest meadow erupting in purple pasqueflowers, blue lungworts, yellow anemones and white corydalis.
- From early March when the forsythia first bursts into bloom, to around mid-October when the last anemone dies back, my garden is a constantly changing flower display.
- To preserve fragile and moist blooms such as anemones, daisies, pansies, and zinnias, use silica gel, available from florist and craft suppliers.
- Plant smaller bulbs such as crocus, anemones and ranunculus.
- Try white lisianthus, ruby geraniums, red anemones, cobalt delphiniums, or pale blue hollyhocks.
- They also don't eat anemones, astilbes, junipers, foxgloves, daffodils, ferns, grasses and a whole host of things.
- In the area of the Mani where the fiercely independent Maniots lived, there were thousands of wild cyclamen, scarlet anemones and bee orchids among the tower houses that had been the refuge of this ancient tribe.
- I saw, full out, an astonishing number of primroses, acres of anemones, violets and wild strawberry.
- In July I found mountain anemones, blue and gold asters, rhododendrons and blue gentians.
- There is stately eremurus; the foxtail lily, perfect for the back of the border; camassia, ideal for woodland plus anemones, hyacinth, iris, bluebell and cyclamen.
- In addition there are many other tempting selections such as delicate swan-like acidanthera, outrageous eucomis and allium, sophisticated calla and ixia and colorful anemones.
- As I sat in the garden one warm June morning, a painted lady butterfly flew down to alight on a white anemone.
- As a native Californian, she was particularly drawn to plants that define Southern California gardening, such as agaves, bush anemones, cycads, and New Zealand flax.
- Her eyes were sometimes open, and bright blue, like anemones.
- Dowling's recommendations for winter production in colder regions: lilies, sunflowers, amaryllis, anemones and ranunculus.
- These anemones are clump-forming perennials with fountains of rich green leaves to a height of about 40 cm.
- Ever since that day, every year in springtime the anemone, or wind flower, as it is known, rises from the ground.
- Summer-flowering bulbs such as dahlias, begonias and anemones bring variety, texture, unique color and long flowering times to summer gardens.
2sea anemoneZoologyanémona de mar feminine
- The fish clean the anemone's upper surface, remove parasites, drop food on the anemone, and chase away butterflyfishes that eat anemones.
- The clown fish keeps the host's habitat clean and leaves scraps of food for the anemone.
- You will find brightly coloured anemones, firebrick starfish and urchins.
- The anemone fish shelters within the waving fronds of the anemone host, enticing other small fishes into the anemone's trap.
- This combination means that the colourful patchwork created by the budding of different colour forms of jewel anemones, for instance, can be fully appreciated.
- The schooling fish here are the big attraction but the walls are covered in orange soft corals and large red dahlia anemones.
- Some crabs actively seek anemones and sponges as epibionts that may be used for camouflage, and in some cases, as an emergency meal.
- Our first attempt ends up with the shot on a rock covered in colourful anemones.
- Towards the surface, tealia anemones show off their bright reds and pinks.
- Cutting across our path, there was a riot of colour as dahlia anemones jostled for space with dead men's fingers and sea stars.
- Marine life is as expected: spectacular walls of dead men's fingers and dahlia anemones.
- Their drab brown contrasted with the bright red of the dahlia anemones just centimetres away.
- Here we found gobies, blennies and butterfish hiding among the anemones.
- That's why you most often see clumps of anemones of the same colour.
- A current pushes us along the vertical drop, past jewel anemones, bright yellow sponges and orange sea fans.
- Amongst them were contrasting patches of colour from common and jewel anemones.
- The hull here is rich in marine life - hydroids, tunicates, anemones and sponges.
- The top of Shark Point is covered in anemones and I have seen only sharks at Anemone Reef!
- Huge boulders surround the site, festooned in dead man's fingers and plumose and dahlia anemones.
- Daisy anemones provided welcome splashes of colour, but the splendid gorgonian corals ruled the fauna.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.