In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Religionángel masculinethe angel of death — el ángel exterminador
- My mom tells me that an angel is always watching over me and helping me to get over the bar.
- I see the angels watching over me and Manne from the ceiling above and I look to my left and David is standing beside me and I see my mother and father, arms linked, near the open door of our bedroom.
- Where angels are all benevolence and guardianship, the fairy is a good-time girl.
- You and Diana are up there, with angels watching over you, I know.
- Jewish tradition emphasizes that the Torah was given not to angels but to human beings.
- Ultimately, demons are the manifested expression of our fears, while angels - and spirit guides, etc - are as real as us and are with us to help us grow.
- Sophie knew that if there were angels, they were watching.
- The three strangers were really three angels sent by God to allow Abraham to perform the kindness he longed to do, in spite of his pain and incapacitation.
- The figures seem to fly like angels through a celestial space, painted on a great altarpiece.
- In the Western traditions they are called angels.
- A parent can try to control a child's behavior by convincing the child that an angel is always watching over him or her.
- Vera is so touching that she tears at your heart and clouds your judgment as to whether she is an angel of mercy or an angel of death.
- Traditional Christmas cribs have shepherds, angels, kings and a variety of animals in the bit parts.
- I never had anyone who paid attention, except for the angel that's watching over me from heaven.
- For a while there he thought he was in heaven and that was an angel watching him.
- The third comprises the angels, whose law is Celestial.
- Flying is reflected in images of deities and winged angels carrying sacred messages and warnings.
- Righteous angels did appear to humans quite often throughout Bible History, but they never did it in a ‘haunting’ or obscure manner.
- The mother dedicated her time in Knock to walking around the church praying for an angel to watch over her daughter in her absence.
- It was like I had a dark angel watching over me and caring for my well-being.
- According to the scriptures angels are messengers of God and visitors from heaven.
- They have the same ethereal qualities so to speak, as angels, and they're also messengers because an angel is also a messenger.
- At his feet is a heavenly host of angels in white robes with harps.
- Admittedly, this vision is far removed from the Christmas angels' announcement of peace on earth and good will among men.
- Christ then sent his angel with the message to his servant John.
- For instance, in order to draw an angel, a pure soul in heaven, Frank Floreani shows a child's head with wings attached to the neck.
- Man is a little lower than the angels and so was Christ as a man.
- He believes he is an angel waiting for his wings to grow.
- The only thing that I could think of was that there had been an angel watching over him.
- Perhaps he really does need an angel watching over his career, especially after splitting from his regular co-writer Guy Chambers.
- Now I am your angel watching over you, guiding you, and taking care of you in my little ways.
- He sends forth the angels as His messengers, with two, three or four pairs of wings.
- In fact, the angel of death has intruded on their ordinary civilian lives for more than one century now.
- She trembled in fear, and watched, as her angel, and her bully began to fight.
- We are told this is an exploration of hope and desire, ‘a dream of an extraordinary world where angels watch over you while storm clouds gather’.
- He hated himself for that. But he didn't cry, he never cried… as long as there was an angel watching over him.
- Good luck can be attributed to guardian spirits or angels.
- Mary inquired in order that we might learn from the angel concerning that conception which is a sublime matter beyond understanding.
- Depending on what potentiality he develops, he may become a plant, an animal, a celestial being, an angel, or he may even be unified with God himself.
- I watched as my angel flew softly up to heaven to wait to be born again.
- Against all other evidence, she was able to believe what the angel told her because she had been in the habit of believing the unbelievable all her life.
- Flapping his great wings like a real angel of death come for the new-born he inhaled deeply, his eyes becoming two gleaming points in the dark sky.
- Like the Virgin Mary, who believed what the angel told her about God's plan of salvation, Philip also believed the angel's message.
- I cried myself to sleep that night, but I believe God's angels were with me in that room.
- They were my family's angels and they watched over my kids so they didn't have to be taken into care.
2(term of endearment)thanks, darling, you're an angel — gracias cariño, eres un ángel / un cielo
- be an angel and finish this for me — sé bueno y termíname esto
- before noun as form of address angel face — preciosidad
3Theatreproductor masculineproductora feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.