In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cookingangélica confitada feminine
- For me, there was nothing quite so awesomely splendid as the Judge Jeffries sweet trolley, where everything was garnished with glacé cherries, ‘hundreds and thousands’, or tiny little green chunks of angelica.
- The verb ‘to candy’ today indicates a method of preservation using sugar syrup; candied fruit, marrons glacés, candied ginger, and candied angelica all use this process.
- Other tablets from Dufour are beautifully embedded with glacéed orange and lemon peel, and vividly-green pieces of candied angelica.
- We grow Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae and Alchemilla mollis, both of which have green flowers, as do the angelica and fennel in my vegetable patch.
- This family of plants is vast and contains some of our most popular herbs such as, dill, coriander, parsley and angelica as well as some common pot herbs, for example carrot, parsnips and celery.
- When the plant angelica is distilled into essential oil for aromatherapy, it can improve mental clarity, enhance digestion and relieve cold symptoms.
- Two important Chinese herbs that tonify blood and enter the liver meridian are angelica sinensis and white peony root.
- Several herbs also help rebalance the female endocrine system, including angelica (dong quai), licorice root, black cohosh, and chasteberries.
- This is a basic recipe but you may add dried black mushrooms, or Chinese herbs such as ginseng, red dates, or angelica sinensis also known as dang gui or dong quai in Chinese.
- Some women find that herbal remedies, such as black cohosh, angelica, evening primrose and valerian help with some symptoms.
- His slides showed examples of phormium, umbellifors, ferns and grasses, such as yuccas, angelica, tree ferns, bamboos and pampas grass.
- Prepare 1,000 grams of mutton, 10 grams of licorice root and 10 grams of Chinese angelica (both available in Chinese drugstores).
- They can include such herbs as dandelion root, aloe, artichoke, saffron, rhubarb root, gentian, angelica root, myrrh, and senna, to name a few.
- Caterpillars of the Black and Anise Swallowtail make their home on and eat the leaves from the parsley family that include fennel, angelica, dill and chervil.
- But gin is truly an international spirit with ingredients such as cardamom from Sri Lanka, cassia bark from Vietnam, orange peel from Spain, coriander seed from the Czech Republic, angelica root from Germany.
- They found that the 10 most inhibitory oils were derived from thyme, cinnamon, bay, clove, almond, lovage, pimento, marjoram, angelica, and nutmeg.
- Elsewhere, the addition of a little angelica to stewed rhubarb is thought to be a good way of reducing the acidity.
- Uncooked angelica sinensis lubricates the intestines and frees the stools.
- On this occasion, the garden boasted several types of basil, parsley, chives, angelica and mint as well as lettuce, tomatoes and kaffir limes!
- The most popular ones have umbrella shaped flowers such as fennel, dill, cilantro, caraway, angelica, tansy, wild carrot & yarrow.
- I had wormwood, soapwort, dill, yarrow, tarragon, chives, rosemary, lavender, angelica, many kinds of basil and thymes.
- To attract and preserve a population of local beneficial insects, flowering plants such as dill and angelica can be grown and some weeds such as dandelions and wild carrot can be allowed to survive in the area.
- Among the vegetation in the northern sector of the marsh lie tall herbs including meadow-sweet, wild angelica and figwort, while strands of yellow iris, greater tussock sedge and alder carr can also be seen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.