In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pescador (de caña) masculinepescadora (de caña) feminine
- This lake sees carp anglers from all over Europe, eager to make the most of the warm winters.
- British Waterways is currently considering putting a notice up at Canal Head telling anglers not to fish in the canal.
- I went for another half an hour before hooking my third rainbow making me the only angler to land three fish.
- Despite the poor angling conditions a good number of anglers fished the lake with some success.
- The fishing was certainly tough but several lucky anglers did connect with good fish.
- The angler can fish the planer, and the following bait, as far out from the bank as he wishes.
- With good hatches of midge and pond olives tempting fish, anglers have had a busy week.
- Each fish killed is one less to be caught by another angler and one less fish to spawn.
- Some days were more kind, however, and anglers caught fish on wet fly and dapping.
- Both anglers battled the fish and you could see they were getting a great fight.
- With so many anglers fishing the lower river it's often a job to find a decent swim.
- We were the last group of anglers to fish Colin Lake before it closed down for the winter months.
- Earlier this year, the government introduced a rule limiting the number of game fish caught by anglers to one.
- I won't go into great detail about the man except to mention that he is a carp angler.
- Apparently, two local anglers were fishing for blue shark in Galway Bay in a small boat.
- Earlier in the week we had noticed three anglers camping and fishing by an island.
- Yet it is true to say that most anglers leave their line on a reel for far too long.
- They do catch some good fish but so do anglers float fishing in close with big baits.
- I was also fortunate in having a lot of space to myself, as most of the anglers were on the carp lakes.
- When the lure is taken the angler must grab the rod and strike the fish half a dozen times to fully make sure the hook is set.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.