In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Scientists eventually must deal with animism, it's now too important to be left to clerics and barristers.
- Many different strands are woven together: elements of Christian iconography, a kind of coastal animism, surreal touches, a subdued eroticism.
- There's also a sense of animism, wherein a particular tree beside a stream might constitute a sacred place.
- Beninese animism, dance, and music have a long and rich history.
- My understanding is that animism does not start from the premise that objects are inanimate.
- And animism is one of the first things I think of when you describe this world where there are spirits in everything, and they're communicating with each other, and you have to go to an expert to mediate between you and them.
- It was also during this period that Theravada Buddhism gained strength in Ayutthaya, despite the deep roots of superstition and animism that still exist even today.
- Islam has had a presence in this part of Africa since the 12 th century, but well into the 19th the traditional order was still based in animism.
- More appropriately, in animism, these objects have never been ‘inanimate’ - they are always already ‘possessed’.
- The expressive power of these works is dramatically amplified when considered in the context of their natural setting, and gives a face to the palpable, yet otherwise abstract animism that pervades the woods near his home.
- Discarding animism is the first principle of science, which Monod calls the principle of objectivity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.