In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tobillo masculineankle strap — tobillera feminine
- They all want to be the first to have a full body suit: that is, to be covered from neck to ankle in tattoos.
- Ilse tried not to concentrate on that, but try as she might, the delicate wrists and ankles, shapely calves and round arms spoke to her.
- I stood in the center of the room, up to my ankles in cool ferns.
- Mid calf or longer skirts even to ankle was the norm.
- He stood between her legs and casually played with her feet and calves, holding her ankles, running his fingertips up the backs of her legs.
- I was in the swamp… the very swamp that I had seen in the book… and I was up to my ankles in mud.
- Meanwhile, people visiting the South Bank on a rainy day sink up to their ankles in puddles and steam through an indistinct symphony.
- Thick leather straps went around ankles, and thighs, holding her legs tight to the stone, forcing them WIDE apart.
- Today the Sun touches me everywhere, ankles, calves, thighs, arms; and striking through my hair warms me more than if I wore a linen shift and wool gown.
- He removed her shoes and socks, running his hands over the warm skin on her ankles and calves.
- The bank sloped gradually and the water tickled her ankles, calves, thighs, and then waist with its warm tongue.
- Even the prospect of getting my trousers soaked in freezing rain from mid thigh to ankle doesn't put me off.
- I started cutting not only my upper left arm, I started cutting my wrists, stomach, thighs, ankles and neck.
- He has his diamonds and ankle weights on and he's going for a jog.
- He adds that he is handcuffed, shackled, and chained at the waist, which has rubbed his wrists and ankles raw.
- They tattoo their hands, arms, calves, ankles and I even saw one girl with a tattoo on her neck.
- He concentrated only on the image of cool fresh water, rising through his narrow ankles and lapping inside his shins.
- The pump fills the sleeves with air and gently squeezes the leg, squeezing from ankle to calf to thigh.
- If you don't like a normal, strong side hip carry, then try something like a shoulder rig, ankle or pocket holster.
- Your front thigh should be parallel to the floor and your calf straight above your ankle; your back leg should be almost to the floor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.