In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(garment) hasta el tobillo(skirt/trousers) tobillero
- The boy on the other hand wore an ankle length black trench coat, with a green ponytail flipped over the coat.
- Plain white ankle length socks adorned her feet.
- The younger collection, Emporio Armani, presents a sort of European tradesman, with ankle-length trouser with sweaters tucked in.
- You are sweating like crazy, but you love your ankle-length black leather jacket, so the fact you are hyper-ventilating doesn't matter.
- Maybe someday I will be blessed with ankle length hair.
- Children went to schools, including girls wearing headscarves and ankle-length uniforms.
- Women tend to wear very colorful long-sleeved, ankle-length dresses, with a black silk cloak called an abaya covering them completely in public.
- The front lawn of Little Brenthurst is also completely natural - the indigenous grass is ankle length with paths mowed through it.
- Up ahead, we saw someone gliding along in a long-sleeved, ankle-length dress, not your typical exercise clothing for a warm day.
- Women's dresses should be ankle length all the way round - not just at the front.
- These intrepid women wore brightly coloured ankle-length tunics, with fine hats over hair adorned with ribbons.
- He carried himself quite elegantly, and sported an ankle-length trenchcoat, superbly set off by a rather large hat.
- Hanging in the open wardrobe before her was a magnificent pale gold, ankle length gown.
- Yuck, she thought, as she tugged on the ankle length yellow nylon skirt.
- I've got the long boots on today but my skirt is ankle length.
- Her ankle-length black jacket fluttered about her like a satin cape.
- Over it, she wore an ankle-length red coat, with a belt slung around her hips.
- The cheerleader dressed as a pillar of moral rectitude: colorful hair bows, an ankle-length skirt, and saddle oxfords.
- Today, she is wearing a plain black ankle-length dress decorated with flowers, perversely projecting a rather saintly look.
- Barnard, wearing an ankle-length green dress, emerged from the court with a broad smile on her face.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.