In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1aniversario masculineit's their 10th wedding anniversary — es su décimo aniversario de boda / de casados
- on the 100th/200th anniversary of his death — en el primer/segundo centenario de su muerte
- the 50th/150th anniversary of the revolution — el cincuentenario/sesquicentenario de la revolución
- The Winslow Film Festival marked its third anniversary a couple of weeks ago.
- The exhibition concludes with an academic conference on 22 February, the 200th anniversary of Barry's death.
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of his pro debut.
- Today is the anniversary of the seige of the Alamo.
- Next year, we're celebrating the fair's 150th anniversary.
- The cooperative will mark its 65th anniversary in February.
- The center recently marked its third anniversary on the university's campus.
- This month marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of Marie Antoinette.
- The exhibitions mark the anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
- The show marks the twentieth anniversary of the opening of the museum's new building.
- The national holiday is 3 September, the Anniversary of the Foundation of the Republic.
- The celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of the event have been unprecedented in scope.
- Two major exhibitions have been organised this year to mark the anniversary of the birth of Salvador Dali.
- The celebration of the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence was years in the making.
- The anniversary has been marked by a memorial service in central London, addressed by a UK government minister.
- This month marks the 70th anniversary of the opening of the first drive-in theater.
- Postage stamps are often issued to commemorate the anniversary of an important event.
- In 2000, The New Yorker Festival was inaugurated to mark the magazine's seventy-fifth anniversary.
- This year, the lab celebrates its 60th anniversary.
- Nostalgia has suffused the build-up to today's anniversary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.