In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An unsteady faith leads us back to the tombs, as it led Mary in her desire to anoint Jesus once more in death.
- He sprinkled some of it on the altar seven times, anointed the altar and all its utensils, and the layer and its base, to sanctify them.
- For example, the body might first be anointed with oil to prevent water from seeping through the skin.
- Moses then took the anointing oil, anointed the Tabernacle, and all that was within it and consecrated it.
- The Rev Derek Wooldridge anointed the baby with oil at her hospital bedside in Leeds before a donor was found.
- According to some reports, when they returned two days later to anoint his body, they found the tomb empty.
- The priest anointed me with the oil of confirmation.
- He begins by accepting the very dubious identification of her with the ‘woman who was a sinner’ and who anointed the feet of Christ.
- The bishop's prayer that speaks of the layer of regeneration of the Holy Spirit is given next as he lays a hand on the new Christians and anoints them on the forehead with holy oil.
- One traditional practice that is part of this belief system is anointing one's body with butter or ghee, a clarified butter used for cooking and other purposes.
- When Mary Magdalene went to Jesus's tomb to anoint the body, she was shocked to find it empty.
- Ritually anointing our hands is both a symbol of the renewal of creation as well as a spiritual cleansing in preparation for the work of the new day.
- After death, bodies are rubbed and anointed to remove rigor mortis.
- The first episode of the passion account is that of a nameless woman who anoints Jesus for burial, correctly recognizing his kingly identity and his approaching death.
- In front of the altar, the priest anoints the child with the ‘oil of joy’ (blessed olive oil) on the forehead, breast, shoulders, ears, hands, and feet.
- Following baptism, the child is anointed with a special oil and dressed in new clothing.
- The women speculate on the stone and who will move it for them so they can anoint the body.
- Oil was used for anointing the objects in the tabernacle setting them apart for Gods use.
- Achilles goes out to the wagon and takes two capes and a shirt for Hector's body, ordering his men to clean and anoint the body before Priam sees it.
- Deeply ashamed and motivated by love and repentance, she anoints Jesus with oil and washes his feet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.