In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(reply)respuesta femininecontestación femininewhat was their answer? — ¿qué respondieron / contestaron?
- (to doorbell, phone) there's no answer — no contestan
- answer to sth — respuesta a algo
- in answer to your letter — en relación con / con relación a su carta
- in answer to your question — para contestar tu pregunta
- I can't get an answer out of him — no consigo que me dé una respuesta / contestación
- by way of (an) answer — como toda / por toda respuesta
- he's got an answer for everything! — ¡tiene una respuesta para todo!
- the answer to a maiden's prayer — un príncipe azul
- to be the answer to sb's prayers — llegar como caído del cielo
- to know all the answers — saberlo todo
- you think you know all the answers, don't you? — ¿tú qué te crees? ¿que lo sabes todo?
- She skated across the rink and came back next to me waiting for an answer.
- So I scurried up to my office, got the transcript of the questions and answers, came back to the House, and took a point of order.
- The ambulance came and took him away, asking questions, getting no answers in return.
- It's more that I found myself asking the same questions, hearing the same answers and writing the same stories.
- How can these people give anything but the expected answers in such situations?
- Consider the truth of the statement: if the answer is yes, then how do you feel about it.
- The short answer is that this situation really has nothing to do with you.
- We have to research these questions and not give flippant answers.
- What's more interesting is the questions my friends ask and their reactions to the answers.
- Voltaire's answer was a classic statement of the atheist position.
- Janice was always asking too many questions while never waiting for an answer.
- He gave a flippant answer saying I should thank my lucky stars he had not billed me for it earlier.
- When you get an answer, acknowledge it before asking additional probing questions.
- Basically, there are several situations and the answer would vary in each case.
- I was a little confused because his statements weren't really answers, but more like walks around an answer, like a politician would do.
- He was unprepared and without an answer, and the situation suddenly seemed awkward.
- We will never know, since pollsters, like trial lawyers, always avoid questions whose answers might prove embarrassing or unforeseen.
- He disclosed that the matter had been forwarded to the Labour Courts, notifying it of the workers' situation and answers are expected soon.
- This is not a situation where a single answer is going to be completely correct.
- Those are all questions deserving honest answers.
1.2(response)answer ( to sth)
- her answer to his rudeness was to ignore it — respondió a su grosería ignorándola
- Britain's answer to Elvis Presley — el Elvis Presley británico
2.1(in exam, test, quiz)respuesta femininethe answer is 210 — la respuesta / solución es 210
- The audience loved the questions thrown open to them and many students and also some parents walked away with the prizes for the correct answers.
- Anyway, when it came to the essay segments, I wrote my answers like a 4th grader.
- You can write down the answers on a separate sheet or you can call in to the Sligo Weekender offices and pick up a special entry form.
- They have already, we note, calmly written their answer down some time before.
- I eventually resorted to writing down the answers in Japanese.
- I loved the extra cross references, summaries, and test questions complete with the correct answers.
- Just answer the following question and write your answer on a postcard.
- Dyslexic people get more time, as they find it more difficult to read the question and write the answer.
- The answer to #2 is perhaps only obvious when you actually know the answer!
- The teacher writes questions and answers on the blackboard - or the newer green, or white boards, and the students copy them down dutifully.
- The students took the test, writing down the answers with feather pens as best as they could.
- I remembered to put in the answer to last weeks puzzle but now I can't remember what the answer is!
- This test gives you the correct answers after each question and teaches the tricks for answering smarter on the next test!
- You have until lunchtime (UK time) on Christmas Eve, at which point I will reveal the answers, with accompanying explanations.
- In terms of being concise, plan your answer, write down key issues and words and build sentences and paragraphs around those.
- I'll publish the correct answers when we resurface from under a pile of boxes.
- All I needed was the answer to number thirty but she was selfish and didn't give me the answer.
- But before we get onto the winners, here are the correct answers.
- You do not need to write out the answers, just do it using your mind.
- Back in the famous Quiz Show Scandals, the horrifying revelation was that certain contestants had been given the questions and the answers in advance.
- We got close to 70 correct answers in fifteen minutes.
- She peered at the test and hurriedly wrote down the answers as the bell rang for her to go to lunch.
- And this becomes your work for the rest of the year - to go over and over those three questions until the pupils could write the answers in their sleep.
- She wrote ridiculous answers on a history test so she would get an F.
- Finally, after writing her last answer, she put her pencil down and massaged her temples.
- Maybe I don't have any answers, just questions.
- The ex-Army major, 41, of High Street, Easterton, used coughs from an accomplice to steer him to the correct answers.
- He still came up with an impressive 7 correct answers.
- Ponder each question and take your answers seriously.
- Constructed-response questions required the students to provide written responses explaining their answers.
- With only a handful of correct answers received for last week's quiz, there is still no third place winner.
- To make sure that the team was on the right track, and prevent people taking unauthorised short cuts, there were simple questions for which the team had to write down short answers.
- Players are then tasked to pick the correct answer from a list of four potential solutions.
- You'll need a pen, to write down your answers, and at the end we'll tally up and see whether you've got em right or not.
- As their teacher rattled off numbers in Chinese, the duo listened, picked up their markers, wrote identical answers on whiteboards and held it up for the audience to see!
- Each kid is asked the same three questions, and they write their answers down.
- The winning team managed to get a whopping 96 out of hundred correct answers and they won two All-Ireland tickets for their endeavours.
- Sitting in Chemistry, Rachel beside me was working on our practical essay, and I was writing down the answers.
- Fortunately, Egg gives you the correct answers at the end of the test along with some pointers about which aspects of knowledge you need to mug up on.
- Thanks to Maura for her questions and answers and the next quiz will be set by Therese Mc Kernan.
2.2(solution)solución feminineviolence is not the answer — la violencia no es la solución
- there's only one answer: we'll have to sell the car — solo tenemos una solución: vender el coche
- answer to sth — respuesta a algo
- the answer to all their problems — la solución de todos sus problemas
- You can understand why alcohol can often seem like the best answer in such situations.
- Departments with high rates of attrition among graduate students need to look to their own practices for answers and solutions.
- Depression is a very complex topic, which affords no easy answers or solutions.
- It is not a situation which permits easy answers in the short term.
- If your sincerest desire is to avoid hurting anybody's feelings, the answer is never to write or say anything controversial.
- There are no all-encompassing answers, only local solutions, compromises, and on-going negotiations.
- Again, somewhat like global expansion, there are no simple answers and the situation is changing with enormous speed.
- I wish I could conclude this column with a conclusion, but there are no easy answers or solutions.
- The smallpox dilemma has no simple answers, and making the correct decision may, literally, be a matter of life and death.
- The current situation poses many questions and few easy answers.
- There are no miracle solutions, no magical answers, no easy everybody-wins way out.
- But this is a situation with no easy answers, and there are real limits on what even a country as powerful as the United States can do about it.
- The geriatric care manager must understand the people he or she is working with, what their values are, and come to each situation with no prescribed answers.
- In all other situations the answer may well be for couples to file for divorce.
- Unfortunately, this theme does not carry the weight that it purports to carry, providing no resolution and no answers.
- Soft power is neither the problem nor the answer; the real solution is to get the policy right.
- If your inner geek needs a lift, International Rocket Week may be the answer, writes Rachel Devine
- This has to be handled VERY delicately, and there are no easy answers or obvious solutions.
- There may, of course, be situations where the answer may not be obvious and alternatives may have to be tried.
- Of course, satire is not about finding answers or solutions.
1(reply to)(letter/person) contestaranswer your father when he's speaking to you! — ¡contéstale a tu padre cuando te habla!
- we must answer their letter — tenemos que contestar (a) su carta
- I can't answer your question — no puedo contestar (a) su pregunta
- if they ask me where you are, what shall I answer? — si me preguntan dónde estás, ¿qué contesto?
- because it's too far, she answered — —porque está muy lejos —contestó / respondió
2(telephone) contestar(telephone) atender Latin America(telephone) coger Spainwill you answer the door? — ¿vas tú (a abrir)?
3(criticism/critic) responder a
4(need) satisfacertheir prayers were answered — el cielo escuchó sus plegarias
5(fit)to answer (to) a description — responder a una descripción
- he saw a woman answering (to) that description — vio a una mujer que respondía a esa descripción
6Nauticalto answer the helm — obedecer al timón
1contestarresponderI wrote and they answered almost immediately — escribí y me contestaron casi inmediatamente
- I phoned but no one answered — llamé por teléfono pero no contestaron
- if the doorbell rings, don't answer — si tocan el timbre, no contestes/abras
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.