In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The next time either of those two ants meet any other ant, the information they pass on will be different.
- He had tried to get out of the house, but there were ants swarming all over the door.
- You had to go barefoot in the temple, and with food offerings on the floor the place was swarming with ants.
- At this point the leading ants panic and backtrack to the safety of the swarm.
- Alternatively, an insecticide can be used that will simply kill the ants.
- From schools of fish to a swarm of ants, animals exhibit extraordinary collective behaviour.
- Then we discovered tool-using animals, chimpanzees using sticks to dig ants out of anthills.
- Over at Peter's there has been talk of flying ants and mozzies that seem to be attacking us in their thousands this year.
- The ants consume the honeydew as food, thus sustaining the life of both insects.
- The ants were the most prolific of the insects we were likely to encounter daily.
- Outside were long lines of ants and other small insects hanging around and seemingly without very much to do.
- Farmers have traditionally used sugary solutions to attract red ants to feed on insect larvae.
- Anteaters have long snouts which they thrust into ant-heaps in order to devour the ants or termites.
- Bees belong to the third largest insect order which also includes wasps and ants.
- Today this woman called in very upset because she caught her little daughter eating ants.
- I got home yesterday evening to find the kitchen absolutely swarming with ants.
- He has red hair, shouts incessantly and moves as though a colony of ants has invaded his tracksuit trousers.
- Some will give a colony of ants an extra push to bring sugar and food to it's families.
- To scientists, that's as bizarre a finding as a queen bee spawning a colony of ants.
- Two or three black ants would surround an enemy ant and bite it to death.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.