In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1antárticothe Antarctic Ocean — el Océano Antártico
- the Antarctic Circle — el Círculo Polar Antártico
- He had wondered how Antarctic fish stay alive in waters cold enough to freeze them.
- The Antarctic continent is colder for a number of reasons; topography being one of the most relevant.
- Amanda could, for example, be installed at any Antarctic site where the glacial ice is thick and free of dust.
- So much water is currently locked up in the Antarctic ice sheet that if it melted it would raise sea levels by a further 150 ft or more.
- You can almost feel the bitter cold and biting Antarctic wind in this excellent biography of a polar hero.
- Arctic and Antarctic exploration remains a staple of the book publishing industry.
- The results, though, did not assess the overall contribution of the entire Antarctic ice sheet to sea level rise.
- I've just returned from spending a month at Palmer Station, a US research base on the Antarctic peninsular.
- Shackleton's last journey would be with the goal of circumnavigating the Antarctic continent.
- Such ideas naturally discouraged further exploration to the Antarctic region for many centuries to come.
- The Emperor penguins are large and found only in the Antarctic regions.
- It recreates the vegetation and animal life in the Antarctic and Arctic regions.
- There was still some cheese, dry biscuits, and dried apples in my pack from lunch a few days ago, as food rarely spoils in the cold Antarctic climate.
- This reduced the mixing of warm, tropical ocean water and cold, polar water causing the buildup of the Antarctic polar ice cap.
- The Northern Lights are a phenomenon that is seen in the skies on clear, dark nights in the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
- Their journey begins in early December at Hercules Inlet on the frozen Antarctic coast.
- This is assuming that the Antarctic and Arctic ice caps will remain constant.
- During the Antarctic winter the South Pole becomes the coldest place on the planet.
- Ross was involved in eight Arctic and Antarctic expeditions after joining the navy in 1812.
- The Antarctic region harbors the most extreme climate and the most narrow biodiversity of all continents.
1the Antarctic — la región antártica
- Ice shelves are carving off the Antarctic faster than expected.
- The name "Antarctic" tells the tale: The Falkland Current brings cold water north from the ocean around Antarctica.
- The work responded to the presence of classics in the Antarctic, in the place names given by British public school-educated explorers.
- More than 30 hours away from the UK already and we still had two days sailing before arriving at the true Antarctic.
- Cold rush threatens pristine Antarctic, says the Guardian's science correspondent Ian Sample (900 words; reading time 2-4 minutes).
- This catch is in addition to the 400 minke whales caught by the Japanese fleet every year in the Antarctic.
- There is relatively little information on trophic relationships among nearshore Antarctic peninsula organisms that inhabit the most productive areas in the Antarctic.
- A Royal Navy Lynx helicopter operating from HMS Endurance has crashed in the Antarctic, injuring the flight crew of five.
- His film music included the film Scott of the Antarctic.
- The lichen samples were collected along a transect from the northern maritime Antarctic to the continent.
- This guy is to ambition what the Antarctic is to ice cubes.
- The Tom Crean Society has arrived at Buenos Aires en route to the Antarctic.
- I ended the book with a photograph of an emperor penguin chick from the Antarctic.
- It plummets to the icy surface of the Antarctic, burrowing deep within the ground.
- The hardships they suffered instead for more than two years in the Antarctic have become the stuff of legend.
- Penguins are the most common birds in the Antarctic.
- Three volumes of a newspaper created on expeditions to the Antarctic led by Captain Scott are to be republished.
- To coincide with the International Polar Year, this year's theme is the Arctic and Antarctic, home of polar bears and penguins.
- The two-part Channel 4 drama was filmed in Greenland instead of in the Antarctic which was in perpetual darkness at the time.
- That's one of the thoughts of how should poultry disease ever get to the Antarctic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.