In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1antárticothe Antarctic Ocean — el Océano Antártico
- the Antarctic Circle — el Círculo Polar Antártico
1the Antarctic — la región antártica
- The Antarctic continent is colder for a number of reasons; topography being one of the most relevant.
- Such ideas naturally discouraged further exploration to the Antarctic region for many centuries to come.
- The Emperor penguins are large and found only in the Antarctic regions.
- He had wondered how Antarctic fish stay alive in waters cold enough to freeze them.
- The results, though, did not assess the overall contribution of the entire Antarctic ice sheet to sea level rise.
- This is assuming that the Antarctic and Arctic ice caps will remain constant.
- I've just returned from spending a month at Palmer Station, a US research base on the Antarctic peninsular.
- The Antarctic region harbors the most extreme climate and the most narrow biodiversity of all continents.
- You can almost feel the bitter cold and biting Antarctic wind in this excellent biography of a polar hero.
- This reduced the mixing of warm, tropical ocean water and cold, polar water causing the buildup of the Antarctic polar ice cap.
- During the Antarctic winter the South Pole becomes the coldest place on the planet.
- Arctic and Antarctic exploration remains a staple of the book publishing industry.
- Shackleton's last journey would be with the goal of circumnavigating the Antarctic continent.
- Ross was involved in eight Arctic and Antarctic expeditions after joining the navy in 1812.
- So much water is currently locked up in the Antarctic ice sheet that if it melted it would raise sea levels by a further 150 ft or more.
- Amanda could, for example, be installed at any Antarctic site where the glacial ice is thick and free of dust.
- There was still some cheese, dry biscuits, and dried apples in my pack from lunch a few days ago, as food rarely spoils in the cold Antarctic climate.
- The Northern Lights are a phenomenon that is seen in the skies on clear, dark nights in the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
- It recreates the vegetation and animal life in the Antarctic and Arctic regions.
- Their journey begins in early December at Hercules Inlet on the frozen Antarctic coast.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.