- Again, the capuchin monkey cannot be unequivocally assigned to either the typical anthropoid or nonprimate pattern.
- However, in the anthropoid primates, which include the monkeys and apes, eliminating sexual motivation does not eliminate the capacity for sexual arousal and mating.
- They are heavy-bodied, thick-necked anthropoid apes, native to the swampy coastal forests of Sumatra and Borneo.
- In 1917, he conducted experiments on anthropoid apes on the Island of Tenerife.
- But now we have much more complete material - upper and lower jaws - that gives us a better idea of what Biretia is and how it fits into the broader picture of early anthropoid evolution.
- This usually occurs in gibbons and occasionally in other anthropoid apes.
- This fairly sturdy oversized paperback is printed in blue, with uninspiring cartoons of a cross-eyed kid in a beanie and his anthropoid dog.
- Archaeologists and site-workers anxiously probed into the sand and uncover three magnificently carved unidentified wooden anthropoid sarcophagi dating back to the 26th Dynasty.
- ‘That resulted in the anthropoid primates - which we are one of - which had better vision all around, compared to the earlier primates that only had to deal with constricting snakes,’ Isbell said.
- His overview is especially effective, as it clearly presents several hypotheses of anthropoid origins.
- I personally believe that with nimble fingers and fine eyes, humans seem particularly adapted - like our anthropoid counterparts - to the task of picking insects from leafs and branches.
- But fundamental questions remain to be answered about anthropoid origins in Asia and Africa.
- The stage is dominated throughout by huge anthropoid figures, I should think over 30 feet tall.
- However, if present day anthropoids are any indication, early primates were quick to take advantage of these new arboreal plant foods.
- The ancient teeth and jawbones of the tiny, monkeylike creatures shed new light on the poorly understood evolution of early anthropoids, a suborder of primates that includes apes, monkeys, and humans.
- ‘I am convinced that Southeast Asia played a most critical role in the evolution of anthropoids and hominoids, much more important than what is commonly believed,’ he said.
- In fact, anthropoids are matched only by raptors for their sharp vision.
- Primates, particularly anthropoids, are noted for their considerable cerebral complexity.